Department of Education, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Masters UG & PG (FHEQ level 7)|
Modular (no specific semester)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
To improve the students' professional practice in education by undertaking a small-scale action research enquiry.
After completing the unit, the students will have an enhanced ability to critically analyse and evaluate the following.
1. The design, process and outcomes of a small-scale action research enquiry designed to improve an aspect of their educational practice.
2. Their own professional learning.
3. The key theoretical concepts relevant to the aspect of their practice which they are seeking to improve through their action research enquiry in the unit.
Independent learning (F)
Problem identification, analysis and solving (F/A)
Individual research and reflection (F/A)
Critical reasoning (F/A)
Plan, conduct & report an individual investigation (F/A)
Critically evaluate own performance (F/A)
Written communication (A)
1. Make critical use of the literature of the field of Education (T/F/A).
2. Make critical use of professional experience in the field of Education (T/F/A).
3. Undertake and educational study in an appropriately critical, original and balanced fashion (T/F/A).
4. Analyse, interpret and critique findings and arguments (T/F/A).
5. Collect, Analyse and interpret data appropriately (T/F/A).
6. Draw appropriate conclusions from an education research study, taking account of its strengths and limitations (T/F/A).
7. Select and justify the focus, scope and methodology of an educational research study (T/F/A).
8. Review, employ, and engage critically with an appropriate literature through the design, conduct and evaluation of an educational research study (T/F/A).
9. Demonstrate self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems (T/F/A).
10. Evaluate research and variety of types of information and evidence critically, also making informed judgements in the absence of complete data (T/F/A)
11. Initiate change in practice appropriately (T/F/A).
12. Contribute to professional debate in the field of education (F).
13. Act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks at a professional level (F).
14. Communicate their conclusions clearly to specialist and non-specialist audiences (T/F/A).
15. Evaluate their own academic and professional learning (T/F/A).
16. Manage change effectively and respond to changing demands (F).
17. Manage time, prioritise workloads and recognise and manage personal emotions and stress (F).
18. Develop new or higher level skill, for example in information technology (F).
In the unit, the students will undertake a small-scale action research enquiry designed to improve an aspect of their professional practice in education. They will be required to design the enquiry, organise the process and identify and evaluate the outcomes. By undertaking a critical analytical reflection on the process of the enquiry in the unit, they will gain an enhanced understanding of their own professional learning. As part of their studies during the unit, they will be required to critically analyse key theoretical concepts relevant to the aspect of their practice which they are seeking to improve through their action research enquiry. In the unit, students will negotiate the focus of their enquiry with the unit tutor, who will also provide guidance on the organisation of the process, the identification and evaluation of the outcomes and the literature relevant to the focus of the enquiry.
ED50343 is Optional on the following programmes:Department of Education