Department of Economics, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Certificate (FHEQ level 4)|
|Assessment:||CW 60%, EX 40%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||ES10004A - Resit Exam (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take ES10003|
* To develop the practical side of statistical analysis associated with accessing and interpreting economic data.
* To enable students to become competent users of Excel to represent and analyse economic data.
* To develop teamwork and presentation skills.
* Students will have enhanced skills essential to undertaking and presenting quantitative research.
* Students will have acquired and developed competencies in using Excel to represent and analyse economic data.
* Students will have had an opportunity to participate in writing and presenting a group academic essay/project. In so doing they will have enhanced their understanding of economic relationships from first year Micro and Macroeconomics units.
Problem-solving, information technology (particularly Excel), ability to work and communicate effectively in a team.
Weeks 1-9 Introduction, data retrieval and analysis, spreadsheets 1: basic skills, spreadsheets 2: model building, spreadsheets 3: financial functions, data analysis: displaying and describing data, analysis of bivariate data, introduction to regression analysis, topics in advanced excel: macros.
Weeks 10-11: group presentations and revision.
Key text: D. Whigham (2007) Business Data Analysis using Excel (Oxford).
ES10004 is Compulsory on the following programmes:Department of Economics