Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Masters UG & PG (FHEQ level 7)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||While taking this unit you must take ME50173|
To provide an understanding of the various management processes used in engineering, and to provide each student with the experience of working and interacting within a multi-discipline group environment.
To provide a vehicle for a wide understanding of design processes and methodologies and management and business practices.
To undertake a group exercise in Integrated Engineering supported by case studies to highlight and enforce key project engineering analysis, research and management skills.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Propose an engineering management strategy. Carry out risk based appraisals of engineering projects.
* Understand and apply the practices to strategic and tactical issues. Produce a detailed project plan, TL and sustainability assessment. Demonstrate detailed knowledge and understanding of the technical and design processes when working in a multidisciplinary group
* Understand and appreciate the interaction of different skills when analysing unfamiliar multidiscipline engineering problems
* Show originality in tackling and solving problems and dealing with issues.
* Effectively analyse and communicate the required responses of a case study exercise.
Problem solving; holistic appraisal, planning; numeracy; written communication; oral communication; working as part of a group; leadership, IT.
Engineering management, Business Economics, Project Accounting, resource planning, project planning, risk assessment, Through life cost assessment and costing, sustainability techniques.
Students will work in small groups on problems of an investigative nature which specifically addresses aspects of 'integrated engineering'. Case studies will be set and formal lectures will be given which will cover topics such as product design, team tasking, project management and project planning.
XX50180 is Compulsory on the following programmes:Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering