School of Management, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Honours (FHEQ level 6)|
|Assessment:||CW 0%, EX 100%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take MN20016 or take MN20081|
* To provide participants with a comprehensive overview of brand communications theory and practice;
* To teach a wide range of advertising and communication models and relate these to models of consumer behaviour;
* To review recent psychology learning and show how this relates to new ideas about brand communication;
* To outline best practice in brand communication evaluation.
* Students will become familiar with models of advertising communication.
* Students will learn to apply models of advertising to existing brand communication campaigns.
* Students will be able to use models to develop and evaluate new communication campaigns.
* Analytical Skills - assessed
* Writing Skills - assessed
* Class participation skills.
The role of brand communication in influencing brand choice will be critically examined making extensive use of in-class discussion of examples of advertising. The following specific subjects will be covered:
Lecture 1: Introduction to the course & review of classic consumer buying behaviour
Lecture 2: Cognitive Brand Choice Models
Lecture 3: Simple non-cognitive models
Lecture 4: Psychology of Learning & Attention
Lecture 5: Psychology of Affective Processing
Lecture 6: Models of Affect and Attention
Lecture 7: Low Attention Processing model
Lecture 8: Advertising Evaluation
Lecture 9: Practical issues in advertising development
Lecture 10: Practical session in developing ad strategies
Lecture 11: Revision.
MN30036 is Optional on the following programmes:Department of Chemistry