Department of Physics, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Intermediate (FHEQ level 5)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Mandatory extra work (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||This unit is only available to students on Mathematics and Physics programmes.|
The aim of this unit is to allow students on courses in Mathematics & Physics to catch up with core Physics material that they did not cover in years 1 and 2 of their degree.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* write down the essential results and formulae of special relativity;
* describe important experiments (real or thought) in special relativity;
* solve simple kinematic and dynamical special relativity problems;
* describe the characteristics of the fundamental forces, and quote and use conservation laws to determine allowed particle reactions;
* discuss binding in nuclei and explain the energetics and mechanisms of radioactive decay;
* describe the physical processes involved in fission and fusion reactions and in stellar nucleosynthesis;
* analyse the resonant response of driven simple harmonic oscillators;
* use Fourier techniques for the synthesis and analysis of data and signals.
Numeracy T/F A, Problem Solving T/F A.
This unit covers core Physics material in years 1 and 2 that Mathematics & Physics students do not take. The courses involved are Dynamics and Relativity (part of PH10004), Particles & Nuclei (part of PH20016) and Fourier Analysis (part of PH20020). The detailed content of each of these may be found in the relevant unit descriptions.
This unit is not lectured. Students are provided with course material that forms the basis of their learning. There are weekly tutorials to provide academic support.
PH20076 is Compulsory on the following programmes:Department of Physics