Department of Politics, Languages and International Studies, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Honours (FHEQ level 6)|
|Assessment:||CW 33%, ES 67%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take EU20011|
* To deepen students' appreciation of leadership processes in political and organisational life;
* To develop an understanding of leader-follower dynamics;
* To develop students' understanding of variations in leadership style and content by reference to leadership theories;
* To explore and evaluate examples of particular types of leadership situated within context.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
* Identify and compare particular styles and processes of leadership;
* Associate leadership styles with contexts;
* Demonstrate awareness of the nature of leader-follower dynamics;
* Link leadership styles, contexts and procedures to outcomes and performance;
* Discuss and explore issues issues raised in French.
Skills in critical analysis, conceptual thinking, precision in the use of written and spoken language, exercise of independent judgement, reasoned argument, effective communication in the target language and the planning/conduct/reporting of non-quantitative research are developed and assessed in this unit.
The unit analyses leadership at three levels: the French national polity, the EU, and the international arena, with case studies taken from each. Drawing on a range of theoretical approaches, it identifies the social and personal characteristics of exemplary leaders, identifies contextual and procedural aspects of leadership, and explores the dynamics of social and political interaction processes. The unit is taught in French.
PL30429 is Optional on the following programmes:Department of Politics, Languages and International Studies