Department of Politics, Languages and International Studies, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Masters UG & PG (FHEQ level 7)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
To provide students with an opportunity to pursue in some depth one specific topic they encountered within the degree that interests them especially and to do so under the supervision and with the guidance of an experienced member of staff.
By the time of completing the dissertation students should have:
* practised and developed skills required to pursue independent learning, with limited supervision;
* undertaken primary research relevant to the chosen field of study and/or
* demonstrated an ability to develop a level of conceptual and theoretical analysis commensurate with a Masters level degree.
The key skills the unit will hone and further develop are:
* Advanced research skills in identifying, locating and exploiting a wide range of descriptive, evaluative and theoretical literature.
* Intellectual skills of conceptual, original and independent thinking, critical analysis, synthesis and reasoned argument.
* Skills of assessment and judgement in relation to the soundness of competing arguments and scenarios, including the reporting and assessing of qualitative and quantitative data.
* Generic and transferable skills related to the presentation of ideas.
* Skills of self-direction, self-evaluation and time management.
A topic relevant to the previous modules of the degree.
PL50665 is Compulsory on the following programmes:Department of Politics, Languages and International Studies