|Owning Department/School:||Department of Chemistry|
|Level:||Intermediate (FHEQ level 5)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||While taking this unit you must take CH20147 and take CH20021 and take CH20022 and take CH20023 and before taking this unit you must take CH10010 and take CH10133. This unit is only available to students on Chemistry programmes.|
|Description:||Aims & Learning Objectives: |
To provide experience in synthetic inorganic chemistry and introduce a range of experimental techniques and to give students the experience of presenting scientific results by means of a poster presentation.
After studying this Unit, students should be able to:
* Perform straightforward syntheses of coordination and organometallic compounds.
* Analyse compounds using a range of physical methods.
* Deduce structural information from physical methods of analysis.
* Write a clear and concise account of the experimental work undertaken and the deductions made from it.
* Prepare and present a poster on a chemical topic.
The experiments have been designed to illustrate some of the important features of coordination and organometallic chemistry. Compounds will be prepared and information obtained from a number of physical methods including IR spectroscopy, NMR, UV/visible spectroscopy, atomic absorption and measurement of magnetic moment. Experiments illustrating specific techniques such as column chromatography and inert atmosphere chemistry will also be performed.
CH20020 is a Designated Essential Unit on the following programmes:Department of Chemistry