|Owning Department/School:||Department of Chemistry|
|Level:||Masters UG & PG (FHEQ level 7)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take CH20151 or take CH20152|
To provide an introduction to the chemistry of modern materials and how technological applications drive development of new materials.
After studying this unit the student should be able to:
* critically analyse methods for synthesising nanoparticles and properties and applications of nanophase materials;
* critically analyse templating methods for hierarchical structures and properties and applications of these materials;
* critically analyse structures and materials for photonic applications;
* critically analyse structures and materials for heterogeneous catalysis;
* critically assess recent literature examples of functional materials;
* suggest routes to designed materials possessing required properties for a particular application.
Facilitating data gathering, data analysis, critical thinking. Facilitating problem solving.
Nanoparticle synthesis, applications of nanoparticles, templated hierarchical structures, applications of hierarchical materials, solid state inorganic materials, structures and properties of materials for heterogenerous catalysis, optical properties of materials.
CH40158 is Optional on the following programmes:Department of Chemistry