|Owning Department/School:||English Language Centre|
|Level:||Certificate (FHEQ level 4)|
Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
To prepare students for Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English examination (taking the Cambridge examination at the end of the unit is optional and separate from the unit's assessment).
Having successfully completed this unit students will:
* have reached a level of English equivalent to level C2 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
* be able to function effectively in almost any English-speaking context.
* be approaching a standard of English similar to that of an educated native speaker
* be able to access all sources of information quickly and reliably
* be able to write an essay at a high level of abstraction, which shows ability to communicate, giving few difficulties for the reader.
Having successfully completed this unit students will be better able to:
* learn independently.
This integrated language course covers the four language skills and includes the following:
* Reading authentic texts
* Focus on register recognition
* Vocabulary development
* Oral discussion
* Writing reports, letters and other texts
* Examination practice.
EL10701 is a Generally Available Unit which is available to all students of the University (subject to the usual constraints) to take as an 'extra' unit which does not count towards a final award.
English Language Centre