Corporate Responsibility: Principles & Perspectives
What is corporate (social) responsibility? Where did it come from? Why is it important? How do businesses respond to and integrate it within their operations? These are just a few of the key questions that will be addressed in this intermediate module. We will investigate why CSR exists and how it has come to take its current form, debating such things as the role of business in society and differences based on national culture. We will also examine what and how CSR is managed by business through such things as governance, performance measurement, and issues of power. The goal of this class is to advance your understanding of the role business plays in society, and to encourage you to think about the importance of social and environmental issues for business.
As a student in this course, you can expect to participate, debate and prepare two 1,500 word assignments (worth 20% each for a total of 40% coursework), and a final exam based on essay questions (worth 60%). This is an exciting and challenging module. We look forward to seeing you in class!