An impressionist picture automatically produced from a photograph.
- Photorealistic rendering
- 2D cel animation
- 3D facial animation
- Emotion representation
- Animation using artificial intelligence to drive facial models to express emotions
- Advanced compositing generalising current colour models and seeking to unify various rendering techniques
- Physical modeling for virtual reality
- Content-Based Video Retrieval, in which sketches are to be used as queries
- Image understanding involving the use of Gestalt principles to parse photographs into meaningful parts
- Non-linear camera models
- Non-photorealistic rendering from images and video
- graphics-vision convergence
In addition to the above two themes, we are well known for bringing together vision and graphics. We run the national Vision, Video and Graphics network of excellence. Our research includes cameras that can “see around corners” and processing photographs and video into artwork.
- electronic music synthesis
- notation and playing systems
- composers’ assistants
- algorithmic composition
We are the distributors of various internationally known synthesis systems and provide software support to a growing community of composers.
There are opportunities for postgraduate research throughout our group. Interested students can either contact academic staff directly or see the Computer Science PhD project page.