The Faculty/School Research Committee will be responsible to the Board of Studies for the academic standards and quality of the Faculty/School's research and 'reach-out' activities, through:
(1) the development, promotion and enhancement of the Faculty/School's Research Strategy to meet the research objectives of the University as articulated in the Corporate Plan;
(2) the identification, monitoring and promotion of the means by which the Faculty/School can meet current and emerging research opportunities with the particular goals of increasing research income and the quality of research output and meeting the other research objectives of the University as articulated in the Corporate Plan;
(3) monitoring, review and improvement of research performance across the Faculty/School, including:
- oversight of bids for external funding, including the promotion of multidisciplinary research;
- analysis of research-related performance indicators, in particular those used in national research assessment.
(4) co-ordination and oversight of the Faculty/School submission in respect of any national research assessment;
(5) consideration of the proposed establishment and disestablishment of research centres and appointment of their Directors and Deputy Directors for recommendation to the Board of Studies;
(6) review of the performance of research centres and their continuity within the Faculty/School on a three year cycle for recommendation to the Board of Studies;
(7) monitoring of the annual research ethics returns from the Faculty/School and addressing issues arising from these returns;
(8) promotion and sharing of good practice in respect of research.
Approval date: 5 February 2016
Approved by: Senate
Date of last review: