We will only discuss your case or share your data with other departments to provide services for you, or to provide evidence of your eligibility for services.
We may share your information with internal and external services, including:
- academic departments
- other professional services
- funding organisations
- needs assessors
- the Office of the Independent Adjudicator
- UK Visas and Immigration
- the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
- health professionals
We will always try to explain to you who we will discuss your case with and why. In some urgent circumstances, we may need to take action without your permission.
- if we believe that you may be at risk of serious harm
- if you give us information that another person may be at risk of serious harm
- when we are legally required to do so by the police or other law enforcement agencies
- when we are required to do so by a University regulation
- if you are under 18 years old and we have a serious concern about your wellbeing
Staff who are registered with professional bodies comply with the relevant code of ethics and practice.
Communicating with you
We will usually communicate with you by email and systems linked to your University email address. For confidentiality reasons, we will always use your University email account.
Any online exchanges for therapy or advice, including emails, are owned by Student Services.
We take care to protect your information and ask that you do the same. If you don't comply with these conditions, you will be in breach of our agreement and we may stop online service.
- only use a password-protected computer or your user account to write emails
- always use your University email address and Outlook webmail
- only save emails on password-protected computers
- if you delete emails, empty your trash to permanently remove them
- not to copy emails or part of any email to other email accounts or networking sites or third parties
We keep records of our appointments and services provided. We comply with the University’s data protection policy.
We aim to provide you with a high level of service. If you have complaints about confidentiality, data protection or any other aspect of our service, contact Anthony Payne, Director of Student Services. Find out what to expect in the complaints procedure.