You must not bring certain items, like irons or kettles, to University accommodation because of our health, safety and fire guidance. We provide these and other electrical appliances and make sure they meet the latest safety standards.
You are not allowed to bring your own:
- rice cooker
- deep-fat fryer
- microwave oven
- washing machine
- tumble dryer
- gas appliance
- space heater
- paraffin heater or oil heater
- portable fan heater
- electric fire
- 13-amp socket adapter plugs
- flammable liquids and accelerants
- candles, fairy lights and lighting (except free-standing desk lamps)
- meat and dairy products from outside the European Union
You can bring a rice cooker to use in the kitchen, but only if it conforms to the appropriate British Standard and has been purchased inside the European Union.
You may keep a small fridge in your bedroom if you need it to store certain medicines. You must arrange this with the Student Accommodation Team at the West Accommodation Centre.