There are some items which you must not bring to University accommodation because of our health, safety and fire guidance.
You can't bring your own irons or kettles, for example. We provide these and other electrical appliances in accommodation and we make sure they meet the latest safety standards.
You are not allowed to bring:
- rice cookers
- deep-fat fryers
- microwave ovens
- washing machines
- tumble dryers
- gas appliances
- space heaters
- paraffin heaters or oil heaters
- portable fan heaters
- electric fires
- 13-amp socket adapter plugs
- soft furnishings, like rugs and cushions
- flammable liquids and accelerants
- candles, fairy lights and additional lighting, with the exception of free-standing desk lamps
- meat and dairy products from outside the European Union
You can bring rice cookers into residences for use in kitchens, but only if they conform to the appropriate British Standard and have been purchased inside the European Union.
Deep-fat fryers and microwaves
We do permit the use of deep-fat fryers and microwaves in kitchens, but they must be thermostatically-controlled.
Small fridges are permitted in bedrooms if you are going to use them for the storage of medicines. Arrange this with the Student Accommodation Team at the West Accommodation Centre.