Equip yourself to work as a professional interpreter and/or translator on this highly respected master's, which can include a placement.
Our MA Interpreting and Translating is designed to give you strong grounding and all the practical skills you need to work as a conference interpreter and professional translator at an international level.
You must have an excellent understanding of two languages and can choose from one of two pathways:
- path 1 allows you to work with two other languages (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) into English
- path 2 allows you to work in both directions between Chinese/English or Russian/English
Depending on your languages and whether you wish to work solely into English or in both directions.
This master's has been running for over 40 years and is highly respected internationally for the quality of the training. Many Bath graduates have gone on to work in organisations such as the EU and UN, as well as other language services around the world.
The course covers professional translation and different types of interpreting, including simultaneous and consecutive interpreting and liaison in both public and commercial settings.
You'll have access to the latest digital interpreting suites, and will participate in mini-conferences to put your skills into practice, holding debates on controversial topics and acting as both delegate and interpreter.
In many cases we can arrange a placement in an international organisation such as the EU and UN or other independent agency, giving you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career. Bath has a Memorandum of Understanding with the UN and European Parliament for training interpreters and translators, which means their trainers visit us regularly. This will give you an insight into the skills needed to work in those organisations.
The course is taught by highly experienced tutors who have all worked as professional translators and interpreters themselves. Many have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers, and work for international organisations. As such, they can share a wealth of experience with you and provide useful connections, including potential job opportunities.
You will leave with:
- a proven ability to work with varied and challenging texts and speeches, providing a strong foundation for working at an international level
- practical skills, such as experience of working to deadlines and using style guides
- contacts with potential employers and colleagues from your placement
- contacts with our strong alumni network of linguists who work in international organisations, private bodies and independent agencies
- evidence of translation skills, including the 10,000-word translation and 5,000-word commentary you'll complete at the end of the taught part of the course
Through our extensive network of contacts we try to organise placements for all students with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies. They provide an invaluable insight into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory and not always guaranteed.
Our students have previously undertaken placements with:
- the United Nations
- institutions of the European Union
- the Council of Europe
The MA Interpreting and Translating is a highly vocational course with a worldwide reputation for training professional translators and conference interpreters. Our graduates have excellent employment prospects. While some have found rewarding jobs in smaller companies and institutions, or chosen to work as freelancers, many have gone on to pursue stimulating careers as professional translators and interpreters with major international organisations.
Bath graduates have gone on to work for the following organisations:
- Deloitte (London, Cardiff, Shanghai and Beijing)
- Emirates Airline
- Foreign Office
- Gazprom Germania Gmbh
- Industrial & Commercial Bank of China
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Court of Justice
- International Maritime Organisation
- Ministry of Defence
- People’s Insurance of China
- United Nations in Geneva, Vienna and New York
Many graduates have also worked at universities in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Some of our graduates have shared their experiences on our alumni blog.