Rethink public policy from the ground up in this distance learning course. Explore creative approaches for making and influencing policy design and delivery.
This specialist MSc in Public Policy offers you the opportunity to delve into how public policy is made, what shapes it, and how you can make a real difference as a policymaker.
You will explore the political, economic and social dynamics and forces that influence contemporary public policy issues. This will enable you to think creatively about public policy design and delivery, and your role within it.
Highly applied in nature, the course draws on diverse cases from policymaking globally, as well as from Europe and the UK. You’ll work with academics from the Institute for Policy Research, Department of Social & Policy Sciences and Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies with international expertise in this area, and have links to senior and experienced policymakers from around the world.
The course also examines how data, knowledge and evidence in the digital environment are re-shaping how public policy is analysed, made and practised.
You will leave the course with:
- a robust understanding of the concepts and tools used in public policymaking today, their application and limitations
- an understanding of the wider contexts and constraints within which public policy is made
- the confidence to apply different policymaking tools and think creatively about them, identifying new ways to achieve public policy goals
- the ability to read, critique and develop persuasive arguments about the characteristics of policy problems, the knowledge we have about them, and alternatives for action and inaction
Ideal for those already working in policy, or aspiring to do so, the course offers plenty of opportunity to draw on examples from your own professional experience, and to apply the new ideas and skills to your own specific public policy interests.
Learning and teaching
The course is delivered in an inspiring format, that combines:
- highly structured and interactive online content
- face-to-face learning and networking at short residentials in Bath and London
- intensive support from leading Bath academics throughout
The specialist teaching and tools you acquire will put you in a strong position for moving forward in any policy-facing or policy-shaping role, whether in analysis, strategy or delivery.
You will be equipped to work as a national civil servant in a policy role, government affairs official, think tank researcher, parliamentary advisor, policy advisor, policy advocate in a large INGO or advocacy organisation.
You could also work in regional or local government strategy, public service policy or strategy, or the private sector providing contracted public sector services.
You could also take your studies further to doctoral level.
Download the course brochure
Join our webinar
Join our webinar on Wednesday 2 May 2018 at 19:00-20:00 BST.
During the webinar you will be able to find out about:
- course structure and content
- teaching and assessment
- residentials on the course
- studying with the University of Bath
There will also be an opportunity to put your questions to our staff.
Register for the webinar
Sign up to our upcoming masterclass
Register for our masterclasses, designed to give you a taster of the MSc in Public Policy.
Making public policy from the outside: challenges & successes in Europe & the UK
19 April 2018 at 17:30-19:30
Register for this event
Policymaking in a digital world
View a recording of the 22 February 2018 event