Centre for Research in Education and the Environment (CREE)
Members of the Centre participate in a variety of courses in continuing professional development, primarily at Masters level, as part of the Department of Education's advanced courses programme. Units directly offered by members of CREE on the MA programme include:
- Environmental Education: Learning and Change
- Environmental Education: Learning and Teaching
- Environmental Education: Philosophy and Purpose
These are available as free-standing units which carry credit transfer, and may be followed as part of a modular programme through the year, at Summer School, or by school-based activity.
Units may also be taken as part of a named Masters in Education degree, in Environmental Education.
Various members of the group contribute to the the MRes Programme. This is a Faculty-based course with an Education strand which provides high quality training to potential doctoral students and a stand-alone qualification to train social science researchers with the chance to focus on the specific skills needed for the field of educational research.
The MRes Programme has two goals:
- for potential doctoral students it is designed to provide high quality training to enable them to carry out their doctoral research.
- as a stand-alone qualification it aims to develop fully trained and competent social science researchers.
Members of CREE also contribute to the Doctorate in Education (EdD) programme. This degree is aimed at experienced educational professionals and sets out to place you at the leading edge of your professional field in terms of knowledge, awareness and understanding. The EdD degree has four key features. It:
- is characterized by the high-level academic study of a range of educational and professional issues;
- comprises four tutored units and a supervised research component;
- enables you to make a contribution to knowledge through unit assignments, and through your research enquiry;
- focuses on the interplay and relationship between advanced professional issues and academic enquiry.
The Centre offers academic support to students reading for higher degrees (MPhil and PhD) by part-time or full-time study. Enquiries should be sent to the Director of Studies for Research Students at the Department of Education, or by e-mail to CREE.