Current research programmesCurrent students, their topics and supervisors.
How do I apply?
Contact the head of the research centre that deals with your area of study.
For information about applying for funding visit our Graduate School funding page.
“Contributing to research at Bath has been an exciting experience, as the flexibility allows me to steer the studies in the direction of my interests. The friendly atmosphere and excellent support are added advantages.”
— Talini Pinto Jayawardena,
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 386447
Electronic and electrical engineering includes a number of fascinating research challenges. It covers areas such as:
- Electrical power and energy systems
- Microelectronics and optoelectronics
- Biosensors and bioengineering
- Remote sensing in space and atmospheric applications
- Imaging and tomography
91% of our research activity was graded as either world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Types of research programme
We offer two types of research programme:
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) programme - typically takes two years full-time or four years part-time
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme - typically takes three years full-time or five years part-time.
Why choose us?
We provide a high-quality, stimulating and supportive environment for researchers based in a World Heritage city.
Our international reputation for research makes Bath an ideal place to pursue a research degree, whether you want an academic career or to work in industry. We also offer a range of scholarships and studentships.
All research students attend skills training courses on a variety of subjects, including:
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Speed reading
- Making presentations
- Communications skills
- Research in a commercial environment
- Project management
You will also have the chance to earn money by undertaking part-time teaching in the department.
View our research graduates career destinations.