Why study with us? Our students discuss the benefits from industry links, research excellence and a supportive working environment.
We encourage a variety of research interests, reflected in the wide range of topics studied by our current students. Our academic staff are always open to ideas which extend existing work or introduce new topics to their existing subject areas.
Guidance on the different types of research programmes available can be found on our study site.
How to apply
We welcome research programme applications at any time of the year and students may start at any time. Find out more at our How to apply web page.
Faculty Postgraduate Research Programmes brochure
Download our brochure to find out more about study and research in the Faculty of Engineering & Design.
We also offer support to develop your skills so you can go on to achieve a successful career. For information on what our research graduates go on to do, view their career destinations.
- PhD in Water Informatics: Science & Engineering, delivered by the Centre for Doctoral Training in Water Informatics: Science & Engineering (joint with the Universities of Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter)
Architecture and Civil Engineering
- MPhil and PhD Architecture and Civil Engineering
- PhD projects in Decarbonisation of the Built Environment (delivered by the Centre for Doctoral Training in Decarbonisation of the Built Environment (dCarb)).
- Practice-led PhD (applied for through part-time PhD).
- MPhil and PhD Chemical Engineering
- Integrated PhD in Sustainable Chemical Technologies, delivered by the Centre for Sustainable Chemical Technologies
- Integrated PhD in Catalysis, delivered by the Centre for Doctoral Training in Catalysis (joint with universities of Bristol and Cardiff)