Duration: 1 year full-time (taught); up to 4 years part-time.
Application deadline: 30 June (international) / 31 August (home/EU).
Entry requirements: First degree (UK 1st or 2:1 or international equivalent ) in Architecture or engineering-related subject.
Language requirements: IELTS 7.0 (at least 6.5 in each of the four components).
MSc Architectural Engineering: Environmental Design
This MSc is designed to respond to the significant environmental impact of buildings, which account for around 34% of all energy use and 25% of all CO2 emissions worldwide. In more developed economies, this is significantly higher: UK buildings account for nearly 46% of all energy use and 39% of all carbon emissions.
As a result, there is a need for construction professionals, and building designers in particular, who can create buildings with a low carbon footprint and reduced environmental impact.
Our course is designed to provide students with the skills and deep knowledge base required to achieve this whilst providing the comfort expected in modern buildings.
This MSc, which is endorsed by the BRE Academy, will not only help prepare you for an exciting career in the industry, but it will also help prepare you to continue your studies onto a Doctor of Philosophy research programme.
Many distinction-level graduates from this programme stay on for a PhD, often funded in part by the University of Bath.
Students will learn how to reappraise the design process and develop sustainability strategies for building projects. Graduates will be qualified to pursue careers as specialists in architectural and engineering practices.
The programme is delivered in a modular format, comprising 10 taught units (undertaken in 4-day blocks) and a dissertation. The programme can be studied full time or part time.
The programme is based on research expertise within the Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering.
The Department is the home of centres founded to embrace research into the effects on the built infrastructure of climate change and the need for sustainable development, each with particular focus on materials and products, BRE CICM, and sustainable building design, EDEn.
“ The programme has been refreshing and challenging. I have met inspiring lecturers and guest tutors who are working in the field and making a difference with their buildings. ”
— David Minns
For a full list of compulsory and optional units see the programme catalogue.
Full time study: 12 months
- Part-time study: 24-48 months
- The programme is offered as a modular programme comprising ten taught units.
- The taught units are undertaken in ten 4-day blocks. The first introductory unit is mandatory and a pre-requisite to all the subsequent core/optional units which may be selected and undertaken to suit your own work and time commitments
- Each unit comprises preparatory work, four consecutive days' attendance at the University of Bath and /or follow up work afterwards, amounting to 100 hours of study. Students will be assessed during the unit or by work submitted immediately after each unit
- Where students do not wish, or are ineligible to progress to the dissertation, a Postgraduate Diploma is awarded after successful completion of the taught modules only
During the final three months of the degree you will produce a dissertation. This is your opportunity to explore a particular topic that has been covered during the programme in far greater depth
Bath students have an excellent track record for getting jobs.
- Bath postgraduates noticeably outperform postgraduates nationally
- Our MSc graduates are extremely attractive to employers and have entered a wide range of careers.
- Other graduates have gone on to pursue research towards and MPhil or PhD
After graduation, you will be qualified to pursue careers as specialists in architectural and engineering practices. The Bath MSc in Environmental Design will enhance your employability by providing you with valuable skills and knowledge that are directly applicable in the construction industry and the need for sustainable developments in the UK and abroad.
We also encourage the best of our MSc students to continue their studies with us to PhD level.
Our programme is endorsed by the BRE Academy.