Department of Estates

Waste and recycling services

Help the University reduce its environmental impact by disposing of waste and recycling materials using the following guidance and services.

Please contact Waste and recycling services to discuss your waste collection. All requests need to be e-mailed in advance. 


Waste collections


Day Waste collected
Monday Confidential Waste
Tuesday Furniture/ Bulky items
Wednesday Hazardous waste e.g chemicals
Thursday IT
Friday Furniture/ Bulky items


Confidential waste

The Library has instructions for how to dispose of confidential waste. Sacks for confidential paper waste can be ordered from Central Stores and collected by your portering team. Please ensure you do not overfill the bags.

Hazardous waste

Chemical waste is handled by the Hazardous Waste team and does not go into the general waste bins. To arrange a collection from your building, please email us in advance. Once collection has been arranged, please ensure items are put into secure storage ready for collection on the arranged day.  Any chemical hazardous waste needs to be approved by the Hazard Waste Manager before collection, this will be in response to your email request.  For more information please see the UHS&E Services' web pages.

Office clearouts and furniture removal

If you are moving offices and need help to move furniture and effects, you can enter a Maintenance Request for the Portering Team Leader in your building. Please recycle as much as possible. If you need additional recycling facilities, please contact the waste team.

If you have any unwanted items which are too good to throw away, please advertise them on University's 'Swap Shop'. 

General waste

General waste bins are located around the University for items which cannot be recycled.


The University is committed to reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill. Improving our rate of recycling is part of that commitment.

The University recycles the following items:


Put all used batteries in an envelope or box. Clearly mark the contents as batteries and leave them for the Portering team or take them to one of the battery recycling points on campus yourself. Battery recycling points are located in the Library, a the bottom of Wessex House, 10 West and 4 East South.

Please note: it is illegal to put batteries, electrical equipment and lightbulbs in with general waste.


Please flatten all cardboard and place it beside the general waste bins or another appropriate place which has been agreed with your building's Portering Team Leader. We will collect it and take it to the cardboard baler for recycling.


If you have CDs to recycle, please email us and we can arrange a collection.


The University has two clothing banks for The Children's Society, located in the north of the campus among the student residences. We also have 3 British Heart Foundation clothing banks by the Bus Arrivals area, The Quads and the back of 5 West.

Coffee Cups

There are coffee cup bins located in hospitality and catering outlets around campus:

  • The Claverton Rooms
  • The Fountain Café
  • The Parade Bar (coming soon)
  • 4 West
  • The Patch
  • The Virgil Café
  • The Lime Tree x2
  • Arts Café
  • Sports Café

You can use these bins for any type of disposable coffee cup. Please remove the lid and pour away any excess liquid before putting your cup in the bin.

Electrical items

If you want to recycle any electrical items, big or small, please contact Waste and recycling services to arrange a collection. It is illegal to dispose of electrical items in the general waste.

To arrange collection for larger items or large quantities, email us.


If you have any unwanted furniture or items that others may find useful, you can advertise them on the University’s Swap Shop. You can also ask your building's portering team if they know of a new home for your furniture.

If you would like us to remove unwanted furniture, please email us. After arranging a collection, please put your items out for disposal on the arranged date.


Mixed glass recycled bins are in various bin stores around the University. Although there aren't often individual bins located in staff kitchens for glass, we encourage you to separate any glass and agree a suitable location for collection with your buildings Portering/cleaning team.

Light bulbs and Low energy light bulbs

If you need to change a lightbulb in your office, please report it as a Maintenance Request. It is illegal to dispose of light bulbs in the general waste, we will dispose of the burnt-out bulb and install a new one for you.


Food and drinks cans can be recycled with plastics around the University campus.

The items that can be recycled are:

  • Aluminium cans
  • Steel cans
  • Food tins
  • Foil
  • Aerosol tins.

The items that can not be recycled are:

  • Hard metal items
  • Cutlery

If you have any scrap metal, please contact Waste and recycling services to arrange a collection.


Plastics can be recycled across the campus in the same bins as metals.

Some plastic items that can be recycled are:

  • Drink bottles
  • Milk bottles
  • Yoghurt pots
  • Food trays
  • Plastic cups
  • Plastic tubs

Plastic items that can not be recycled are:

  • Black plastic
  • Carrier bags
  • Cling film
  • Coffee cups
  • Polystyrene
  • Hard plastics
  • Juice cartoons


We provide paper recycling bins to office areas, you don't need to remove staples from paper before putting it in recycling bin. The waste paper is diverted away from landfill and is sent to UK paper mills for processing and reuse. 

If you require more bins for your department, please contact your building's Portering Team Leader.

Some paper items that can be recycled are:

  • Magazines
  • Newspapers
  • Catalogues
  • Junk mail
  • White paper
  • White envelopes
  • Shredded paper
  • Post-it notes
  • Brown paper

Paper items that can not be recycled are:

  • Plastic folders
  • Bindings
  • Wrappers
  • Cardboard
  • Brown envalopes

Printer ink cartridges and toners

The University's Managed Print Contract includes provision for the recycling of old printer cartridges/toners. When delivering a new cartridge, the Print Unit will remove the old one.

If your department is still using a printer not included within the centrally-managed contract, our waste contractors are able to recycle the majority of these products. Place your spent cartridges labelled for disposal next to the bins, preferably in their original packaging, for the Portering team to remove when they collect the general waste.

Please do not dispose of cartridges in the general waste.

Tetra paks / Juice Cartons

If you would like to recycle cartons, you can use the recycling bank which is located in between The Quads and Solsbury Court. All types of milk, drink and liquid food cartons can be recycled in this bank.

Advice on waste disposal and recycling

If you have any further questions about waste or recycling, please contact Waste and Recycling or speak to your Portering Team Leader.