About the Inter-Library Loans Service
Information about the University of Bath Inter-Library Loans Service and how Library members can request books and articles not available from the Library.
What is the Inter-Library Loans service?
The Inter-Library Loans Service is based in the Library. The office is located in the Library on Level 2 next to the Copy & Print office. The service provides access to materials not owned by the Library for study and research.
You can use the service to request an item that is:
- not available in the Library's print collection of books & journals AND
- not available through the library’s online resources (for example e-journals and e-books)
Check if an item is available by searching the Library Catalogue before you make an Inter-Library Loan request.
Members of the University use the Inter-Library Loans service to request various items. For example, books, journal articles, theses, conference proceedings, reports, standards and patents.
These should be items that they need for their academic work. If you need an item for commercial purposes, including commercial research, please contact Inter-Library Loans staff.
The service is paid for by your Subject Librarian out of the materials fund for your department.
All members of the University may also pay a fee, (£12.00) to request an item for their own personal interests.
Request an Inter-Library Loan online
Inter-library loans can be ordered electronically using the online ILL request form. Log in with your Computing Services username and password.
Fill in the web form with the details of your request and remember to tick the copyright declaration box. Click the Confirm request button to submit the form.
Make further requests may by clicking the Place another request button. When you have completed all your requests click Finish and logout. You must tick the copyright declaration box for each individual request.
Copyright rules mean you cannot request more than one article from a single journal issue. You should request a loan of the whole journal issue to see all the articles you want.
If you need help using the online request form, please contact the Inter-Library Loans Services team.
How long will it take to receive the requested item?
- The ILL department will send an email confirming the details of your request.
- Copies of journal articles and book chapters are usually sent to you by secure electronic delivery (SED). Within a few days, you will receive a further email from the British Library to your University of Bath email account, containing a weblink to your requested item.
Please note that the email from the British Library will arrive from the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Selecting the link will enable you to download the item from the British Library server and then print it off.
- You will need to register with the British Library to access the document. For more information on the registration process, click here.
- When you receive the email from the British Library containing the hyperlink, you have 30 days to download and print your file. The file will be deleted after this time period.
- You will need your British Library Username and Password to access the file.
- You may download the file as many times as you wish during this 30 day period.
- You may print only one paper copy, from which you may not make any further copies.
- If you have requested the loan of a whole book or journal issue, you will receive an email from the Inter-Library Loans department notifying you when it’s ready to collect from the Issue Desk.
- All emails will be sent to your University of Bath email account, so please check this regularly.
Request a British PhD thesis
To request a British PhD thesis, please use the EThOS service.
EThOS is the UK’s national thesis service which aims to maximise the visibility and availability of the UK’s doctoral research theses. The service is operated by the British Library
You should only place an inter-library loan request if EThOS cannot supply the thesis you need.
Alumni or External member Inter-Library Loan requests
External and Alumni members of the Library can use the service for a fee of £12.00 per request.