Accessing Skype for Business
Skype for Business is our messaging, meetings, and screen sharing platform. Staff can access this from their staff computers and on their own devices.
Accessing Skype for Business on a University computer
Staff have Skype for Business on their University desktop computer.
You can find it in your Start menu. You may need to enter your University password the first time you use it.
Casper enrolled Macs
- Select the Self Service icon in your dock.
- Select 'Install' under 'Skype for Business'.
To get the most out of Skype for Business video conferencing you will need a Skype for Business certified headset and webcam. Your department can order our recommended webcam and headset through the IT shop.
Accessing Skype for Business on your personal devices
You can install Skype for Business for free on most devices, including your computer, tablet and smartphone.
Windows laptop and desktop
- Install Office 365 ProPlus. You can use this throughout your time at the University.
- Once installed, open Skype for Business and enter your University email address (for staff members, like email@example.com, and for students, like firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
Mac laptop and desktop
- Install Skype for Business for Mac.
- Once installed, open the application and enter your University email address (for staff members, like email@example.com, and for students, like firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
- Enter your username, like 'campus\abc123'. You can find your username on your library card.
iOS and Android mobile devices
You can install Skype for Business apps for your iPhone, iPad or Android phone or tablet:
- Download Skype for Business for your iPhone or iPad from the AppStore or Download Skype for Business for your Android phone or tablet from the Play Store
- After installing the app, enter your University email address (for staff members, like email@example.com, and for students, like firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
- Tap 'show advanced options'.
- Enter your username, like 'CAMPUS\abc123'. You can find your username on your library card.
Accessing Skype for Business Instant Messaging on your browser
You can use Outlook Web App (OWA) for instant messaging using your web browser on any device. For all other features of Skype for Business, you will need to use one of the other methods above.
- Log into OWA.
- Enter your University username, like abc123, and password. Your username is on your library card.
- Select your name in the top-right corner of the page and if you are not signed in, select 'Sign into IM'.
- Select the 'People' tab, you will see any existing Skype for Business contacts, and you can search the University directory.
- To start an instant message, select the person you wish to contact, and select the 'Send an instant message' icon.
- A new window will open for you to send and receive messages in.
New instant message notifications will appear within OWA as your receive them. Select 'Accept' to accept an incoming instant message.
Find out more
Training and online resources are available if you want to learn more about using Skype for Business.