Apply for an Alumni Fund postgraduate travel bursary
How you, as a postgraduate research student, can apply for a bursary to help with conference and training costs, and how we assess your application.
Before making your application, you must check whether you are eligible for a bursary.
You should apply for the bursary three to six months before the event takes place by completing the application form and sending it to Kate Morley in the Doctoral College. The next bursary application deadline is 5th April 2018.
To complete the form, you need:
- details of the conference, workshop, or activity
- evidence of participation in conferences, like the details of your talk or the poster or abstract of your research
- a case for support, for example, why this event is important for your training and development
- details of costs, including any other sources of funding you’ve applied for or been offered
- a supporting statement from your supervisor
Reviewing your application
Your application is ranked independently by a panel made up of academics from across the University.
The panel receives support from the Doctoral College which provides information on your record of progress, funding and previous awards.
Applications are reviewed four times a year. You will be informed of the panel's decision soon after it meets.
If you are awarded a bursary, you will need to submit a brief report, with photos, of the event within four weeks.
We encourage you to apply for other funding for your trip as the scheme is competitive.
If you are awarded other funding and no longer need this bursary, inform Kate Morley immediately so the money can be used to fund another student.