Completing the mitigating circumstances form for undergraduate applicants
If you're applying for an undergraduate course, find out how to tell us about any mitigating circumstances which support your application.
Find out if you need to complete a form
We will consider mitigating circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
Read about circumstances that we take into account, or contact our Disability Services team before submitting your undergraduate application.
How to complete the form
The applicant statement
You should complete this section personally. Your statement should include:
- a brief outline of your circumstances
- the timing and duration of your circumstances
- how they affected your studies
- which examinations (in the past or future) you would like us to consider these circumstances for
Exam board consideration
It is helpful for us to know if your mitigating circumstances have been taken into account by exam boards. In some cases, we may not be able to show you as much flexibility if you have already had your circumstances taken into account.
The supporting statement
You should ask a member of staff at your school or college, such as your academic referee, to complete this section. Their statement should include:
- how, when and to what extent your studies and exam performance have been affected by your circumstances
- any absences that may have occurred as a consequence
- whether a particular subject or qualification has been particularly affected
- any arrangements that your school or college has put in place to support you
- how your affected exam performance deviates from the standard that would be expected from you otherwise
You can attach additional documentation to support your application. These can include a letter from a GP or hospital, a police report or a written statement from a parent or guardian. You do not have to include any additional documentation in your application.
Any additional documentation provided should be signed and on headed paper, if applicable.
Submitting your form
Please submit your completed form and any supporting evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
You should submit your form by 31 July 2018. If you submit your form after this date, or after your final exam results have been released, we may not take your circumstances into account.
If you have any queries about our process or filling in the form, you should contact our Admissions Progression Officer at email@example.com