Connecting to the internet in student accommodation
How to connect your computer, phone, TV box or games console to the internet in student accommodation.
Connecting using Wi-Fi
Our Wi-Fi service for students and staff is called eduroam.
Connecting to Wi-Fi
Use our instructions to connect to Wi-Fi.
Preparing to connect to our Wi-Fi before you arrive
If you want to set up your device to use our Wi-Fi ahead of time, you can use the configuration tool. You will need to be connected to the internet already to use it.
After you use the configuration tool, your device should connect to eduroam automatically when you arrive in accommodation.
Connecting using a network cable
Our wired internet access in accommodation is called ResNet.
- Connect your device to the network point. Your room could have a single or a double socket for connecting to the network. If you have a single socket connection, you may have to plug your device into the back of your room's phone. If you have a double socket, you'll be able to plug it straight in.
- On your device, open a web browser like Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari. It will take you to the machine registration page.
- Enter your University username, like abc123, and password. Your username is on your library card.
- Tick the box to accept the terms and conditions.
- Restart your device.
Once your device has restarted, you should be connected to the internet.
You can buy network cables from the IT shop in the Library.
Connecting to ResNet on a device without a web browser
You will need to contact the IT Service Desk if you are trying to connect a device without a web browser, including a:
- Smart TV or other TV box
- Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii or older games console
Connecting multiple devices to the same network point
You can use a network switch to connect multiple devices to the same network point. You can buy a network switch from the IT Shop.
If you are using a network switch, you must register the media access control (MAC) address for it to work. Contact the IT Service Desk to register your network switch, or visit the IT Service Desk on level 2 in the Library.