David Parkin Visiting Professorship
Make an application for a fellowship to nominate a visiting professor
Guidance notes for academic year 2018-19
1) The application form should be completed by the proposer, not the applicant. See below for the full conditions of the scheme. Be as concise as possible and use bullet points as appropriate.
2) David Parkin Visiting Professorships are awarded on an annual basis, following the procedures for the Appointment of Visiting Professorial Staff, in order to help to support an outstanding academic with a permanent position at a non-UK university to spend a period of time up to 12 months, as a Visiting Professor at the University of Bath.
3) The nominee should have at least the research profile expected for a Professorial appointment at the University of Bath. In order to ensure a high standard, the Award Committee will reserve the right not to make an appointment in any given year.
4) Each year the Esther Parkin Trust will contribute up to £20k (the amount to be related to the length of the visit), towards the travel and living accommodation costs of the successful applicant. This would be either as an honorarium or in-kind through provision of living accommodation in the Esther Parkin residences (or a combination of both).
5) It may be possible to make more than one award in the same year, if the total cost falls within the overall budget of £20k.
6) The application should include a statement of the proposed research activity, a curriculum vitae (max 2 pages) and include a budget, setting out the costs that will be incurred.
7) Each departmental nomination should be supported by two referee statements from people external to the University of Bath, identified by the proposer not the nominee.
8) This is not a contract of employment and it is a condition of award that the parent institution of the successful applicant will cover salary costs.
9) The University shall provide office accommodation and access to services (library, email, computing, workshop, and laboratory) as appropriate.
10) The Visiting Professor shall be required to present a David Parkin Lecture as part of their time at the University. This will be a lecture open to the general public, to be organised by the host department in liaison with Alumni and Development.
11) In putting forward nominations, departments would be agreeing to provide the necessary other support.
Each application form must be accompanied by a maximum 2 page CV of the applicant and two referee statements as per the guidance notes above.
After completing the form
After you have completed the application, please pass it to your Head of Department by the closing date of the call. Heads of Department will then pass their nominations to the Dean who will decide which ones to pass to consideration by the David Parkin Visiting Professorship Committee. S/he will then pass the relevant form to the Executive Officer, Research at the Vice-Chancellor’s Office by the deadline. See flowchart for more detailed information on timescales
Decisions of the David Parkin Visiting Professorship Committee
The Committee will meet by 31 March 2018 to make their decisions and inform the Deans and the Directors of Administration. The appointment of the agreed candidate(s) will then be confirmed by the relevant faculty Board of Studies before Human Resources will issue the candidates a letter of appointment.