Finance for non-finance managers
This course aims to increase your understanding of Finance and Procurement.
When this course runs
- Friday 1 December 2017
- Tom Williams, Head of Management Accounting
- Tony Brett, Head of Procurement
2017/18 courses: This course will run in October only.
About this course
This course aims to increase your understanding of Finance and Procurement and will explore:
- the wider context of finance
- the University of Bath’s current financial position and how it’s measured
- how budgets are set and how it aligns with the strategy
- the role of a budget holder for managing resources and purchasing
- the purchasing process
- the terminology used
This is an interactive session with a range of group activities allowing participants to gain financial knowledge and confidence.
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- explain key financial and procurement terms
- review financial documents in use at the university
- converse with financial and procurement colleagues
- describe the procurement process
- improve your management of budgets
Please note this course has pre-work, taking approximately 2 hours.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Using resources effectively
- Engaging with the wider context
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend
This course is suitable for staff who:
- manage a budget or who have financial responsibility
- wish to develop their financial understanding
Book a place
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
To book a place on a published course date email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following;
- course title
- your name
- any access requirements you may have.
Or call ext. 6369.
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking.
Courses are subject to room availability. We will do our best to find rooms, but if we can't we may be forced to postpone or cancel the event.
Online learning and resources
Access online tools and support about managing budgets and finances on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: