Find further study: funding
Find out from the Careers Service about funding and funded opportunities if you are considering further study as your next step.
If you are considering further study at the University of Bath, make sure to look at the University's page on funding your studies.
Postgraduate funding is complex, and there are many different sources - but no guarantees! The only areas of postgraduate study for which there will generally be some funding available are social work and certain clinical careers including nursing, medicine and physiotherapy. There are also some bursaries available for teaching - see Get into Teaching website for details.
Find out about sources of funding for postgraduate study as soon as possible. There is funding out there but be prepared to compete. Apply early, and if the most obvious sources don't work out, be ready for a more creative search.
For PhDs the main sources of funding are the research councils and university studentships. For research council funding, you need to apply to academic departments rather than direct to the research councils. See our guide to How to apply for a PhD for more information. Structures and methods of funding of PhD programmes varies widely - increasingly funding for PhDs is organised through Doctoral Training Centres. You are advised to start researching opportunities as early as possible so that you don't miss out on deadlines.
There is little research council funding available for Masters programmes - check individual research council websites:
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Biotechnology and Biological Science Research Council (BBSRC)
- Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
The main source of funding for Masters courses are university scholarships - check out the website of the department/course you are thinking of studying, and see the link below to funded postgraduate opportunities.
For both Masters and PhD programmes, funding may also be available from government departments (in the area you intend to study), or from trusts or charities. Turn2us and the Alternative guide to postgraduate funding (available online from the Student Services and in hard copy in the Careers Service) are good places to start looking for charitable and trust funding - the Funding Information Resources below suggest other places to look.
Postgraduate masters and doctoral loans
If you have a place on a masters or doctoral program, you may be able to apply for a Masters or Doctoral loan through student finance. There are certain eligibility requirements and funding varies depending on the part of the UK the institution you want to study at is based.
We publish listings to alert you to any postgraduate funding opportunities which are notified to us. They are sent to us by:
- universities and other organisations all over the UK, including Bath
- overseas organisations.
To view the opportunities, log in to MyFuture, use the advanced vacancy search and select Finding further study and funding as the Service category.
If organisations send us hard copy funding information we store it in the Funding file in the information room.
Please note that this is not a comprehensive database of opportunities, it's only those notified to us. Funded postgraduate opportunities are also advertised on jobs.ac.uk, FindaPhD, PostgraduateStudentships and hotcourses.
Like job vacancies, many awards are not widely advertised. You should research the institutions where you can study your chosen subject and then contact the departments as soon as you can to ask about possible funding opportunities.
- Prospects Funding Guide
- Student Funding Advice (part of Student Services) on campus. Advice and information on funding and budgeting.
- Postgraduate study and research at the University of Bath - webpages include information on funding taught degrees and funding research degrees at Bath.
- Research council sites (listed above) - for information on their remits and award schemes. Please note that you normally apply via the relevant academic department, not directly to the councils.
- Funding information resources - directories and other funding publications, UK government links, other links.
- Prospects.ac.uk has information on postgraduate study in the UK for international students, including funding.
- University of Bath Alumni Discount gives Bath graduates 10% off postgraduate course fees.
- University of Bath job vacancies page includes some studentships and KTP vacancies within the University.