University of Bath

How to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa

Find out more about the documents you need before applying for a Tier 4 visa, and which application process to use.

Before you apply

Tier 4 (General) student visas are open to students who have been offered an unconditional place to study in the UK, and have met the other eligibility requirements.

The University of Bath is participating in the Tier 4 visa pilot scheme, which is open to applicants to a one-year master's course.

Before applying, you must make sure that you have all the required documents, enough money in your account to pay the fees, and understand your responsibilities while studying here on your Tier 4 visa.

Required documents

Use our checklist to make sure that you provide all of the documents required.

You should also read the Home Office's Tier 4 guidance.

Additional documents needs for UK application

Additional documents needed for overseas application

If you have any questions, you can speak with one of our Student Immigration Advisers by emailing


If any of your documents are not in English, the original must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by a professional translator. The translation must include:

  • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • the translator/translation company’s contact details
  • date of the translation
  • original signature and full name of the translator (or an authorised official of the translation company)
  • credentials/qualifications of the translator (if you are applying in the UK)

Please note, if you are applying from overseas we recommend that you make sure that the translations state the translator's credentials and qualifications, in case you need to apply in the UK at a later date.

Your application will be refused if you are unable to provide them to the Home Office when you are asked. We, therefore, advise you to carry your documents in your hand luggage when arriving in the UK. After this, you should always keep them in safe and secure location.

Applying in the UK

We strongly advise that you use our Check and Send service when applying to extend your visa. This service is designed to support you in completing the online application and submitting the right documents, and to minimise the risk of your application being refused.

Applying overseas

You can apply for a Tier 4 visa directly online through the UK Immigration & Visa website.

You can download our step-by-step instructions to help you complete your online application.

Biometric Residence Permits

UKVI regulations require non-EEA nationals, seeking permission from overseas to enter the UK for more than six months, to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) as part of your visa application.

If you apply from overseas and your visa application is successful, you will be issued with a short validity ‘travel’ vignette (sticker) in your passport which will allow you to travel to the UK. You will receive a letter notification that you must collect your Tier 4 visa, called a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), from the University of Bath or from your designated Post Office Branch (depending on the collection point you selected when making your visa application) within 10 days of arrival within the UK.

We strongly recommend that you select the University of Bath as your chosen collection point. When making your visa application, you will need to enter our Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code, which will be provided on your CAS.


You will need to pay the visa application fee and may be required to pay the immigration health surcharge.

Application type Fee
General student Tier 4 visa (applying or extending in your country) £335
General student Tier 4 visa (applying or extending in the UK) £457

If your visa application is refused

If your visa is refused, your must email for further advice.

Typical reasons for refusal include:

  • your bank documents do not clearly show that there is enough money in your bank account every day for a 28-day period
  • your financial documents do not meet Home Office requirements
  • you have not provided original qualifications or certificates listed on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • your documents are not in English
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test has not been approved by the Home Office