University of Bath

Loans for postgraduate courses

If you are a postgraduate taught student starting University in 2018/19 you may be eligible to apply for a postgraduate student loan.

Loans for Home and EU students

If you have Home or EU fee status, you may be eligible to apply for a loan from the UK government for your postgraduate taught course.

Loans available

The amount of loans available to you will vary according to each of the UK devolved nations:


Eligibility criteria for loans varies for each of the UK nations and you should check your relevant student loans awarding agency for full details.

England and Wales only offer loans for postgraduate taught master’s courses.

Northern Ireland, in addition to funding for postgraduate taught master’s courses, may offer funding for postgraduate certificate and diploma level courses.

Scotland only fund a limited number of students on courses outside Scotland each year, as long as a similar course is not available in Scotland. Please check with them that your proposed course qualifies for support.

You may not be eligible for loans if you hold a higher qualification or one of equivalent value (e.g. a doctoral degree, a master's degree or an undergraduate master's degree) than the qualification you are applying for. Check with your student loans awarding agency.