On Track to Bath for Post-16 students
On Track to Bath is a free two-year curriculum enhancement programme for under-represented post-16 students to support entry to higher education.
Who should take part in On Track to Bath
On Track to Bath is for students who are academically gifted and whose background may make them less likely to go to a leading university. Some of these students may not be considering going to university at all.
How your students benefit
On Track to Bath will improve your students' attainment and develop their higher-order thinking and academic study skills.
It will also help your students to make an informed choice about their university course. They will get a taste of university by spending time on campus.
Your students take part in many activities throughout Years 12 and 13. During this time, they will get:
- first-hand experience of life at university (including a three-day residential stay on campus)
- workshops to enhance their subject knowledge, broaden their understanding and help them to achieve the grades that they need at A Level
- opportunities to develop their independent learning and research skills through a project on a topic of their choice
- practical research experience to equip them for success in the Extended Project Qualification and prepare them for university study
- the knowledge they need to make informed choices about university courses and a strong UCAS application
- the confidence and skills to succeed in higher education
- additional consideration at the point of admissions if they apply to a course at the University of Bath
Your students also get to:
- explore and take advantage of university facilities
- attend lectures and presentations delivered by university academics
- meet departmental admissions tutors
- work with current University of Bath students
We work in partnership with your school or college.
What your student will be doing
The first year includes three compulsory parts:
- regular workshop sessions at the University of Bath designed to broaden their understanding of their chosen subject area
- the completion of a research project on a topic of their choice designed to develop the independent learning and research skills.
- attendance at a three-day residential at the University of Bath that will give them first-hand experience of university life and prepare them for that first step into Higher Education
The research project will be particularly useful for students taking an Extended Project Qualification.
The second year of the programme includes:
- workshops to help them make a competitive UCAS application, write a strong personal statement and develop their interview skills
- study skills workshops designed to broaden and enhance their knowledge and understanding, and help to raise their attainment at A Level
- opportunities to discover more about student life including how to make the most of their budget, what to expect from social life at university, social and leisure opportunities, academic and personal support, and tips and advice on survival skills for independent living
How we support your students
Your students will get regular support in their studies from academic specialists. They will also receive ongoing support from their coordinating tutor throughout On Track to Bath. All our coordinating tutors are trained teachers.
We also use the University’s online learning system to support them. Your students will receive login details for this system.
On Track to Bath subjects
Our coordinating tutors run activities for four main subject areas: