SDPR: Conducting an effective review
A mandatory course for all line managers before conducting your first Staff Development Performance Review (SDPR) at the University.
When this course runs
- Thursday 7 September 2017
- Wednesday 18 October 2017
- Tuesday 10 April 2018
- Thursday 10 May 2018
- Monday 11 June 2018
Each session runs 9.30am-1.00pm
Presenter: Lisa Hegan, HRd Bristol
2017/18 courses: This course is likely to run in September, October, April, May and June - course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
About this course
This workshop will enable you to conduct effective reviews for those you line manage by focusing on the purpose and principles of an effective review conversation. The course will cover:
- preparing for the review meeting
- conducting the review meeting
- key skills around using questions, active listening and feedback - techniques
- setting SMART objectives
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- explain why performance and development reviews are carried out
- describe the principles of a review meeting
- describe and demonstrate some of the skills involved in carrying out a review
- recall where to find internal training and development provision
Please note that before attending this course you should:
- familiarise yourself with the relevant SDPR forms and related guidance
- complete the online ‘Staff Development & Performance Review (SDPR)’ module on Moodle (accessed via self-enrolment)
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Managing self and personal skills
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend this course
This course is suitable for all managers and supervisors, other than those working in Education and Research job family, who will be conducting an SDPR for the first time at the University.
It is now mandatory to attend this course before reviewing your staff.
If you are a manager within the Education and Research job family (i.e. reviewing academic, research and teaching staff), please complete the ‘SDPR for Education and Research Staff' course.
'SDPR: Getting the most out of you review': a shorter workshop for first-time reviewees to reflect the fact that it takes two to make a positive review experience.
Booking a place
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
To book a place on a published course date please email firstname.lastname@example.org, including the course title and date, your name and any access requirements you may have. Alternatively, you can call extension 6369.
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking.
Courses are scheduled subject to room availability. We will do our best to find rooms but if no rooms are available we may be forced to postpone or cancel the event.
Online learning and resources
Access online tools and support on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: