Updating your profile on Pure
How to update your profile on Pure, including adding research interests and adding a photo.
Accessing your profile on Pure
- Log in to Pure
- Click on ‘Edit profile…’
Adding information to your profile
You can add four types of information to your profile by filling out a text box for each. You can paste straight from a Word document and it will keep all formatting such as links, underlining, bold, etc. Make sure you use the ‘Paste from Word’ icon.
- Go to your profile
- Go to 'Curriculum and research description'
- Select 'Add profile information'
- Select the category for the information you want to add. The categories are:
- Research interests
- Teaching interests
- Other responsibilities
- Willing to supervise PhDs
You should familiarise yourself with the principles of writing for the web.
- keep your content simple
- write concisely and in plain English
- use short sentences and break up your text into paragraphs
- consider breaking up long sentences or paragraphs into bulleted lists
- create links to your project web pages and other relevant sites
- use headings to break up content
- write about your research in the first person
- go over 250 words for your research interests
- include information about your personal life, for example marital status, children, hobbies and so on
You should use this section to explain your research to a wide audience. You should make sure your content is accessible to those unfamiliar with your role. Avoid using technical terms and acronyms.
You should use this section to describe the general areas that you teach in. Don't include information about specific courses or modules that you teach as this can easily get out of date and be misleading to prospective students.
You should use this section to describe other managerial or administrative roles that you have at the University.
Willing to supervise PhDs
You should use this section to show that you are accepting new PhD students. Give a brief description of the areas where you would be willing to supervise students.
Uploading your profile photo
Finding a suitable profile photo
Profile images must use 1:1 aspect ratio. This means the width should be the same size as the height. Images sized at 500 pixels wide and 500 pixels high are best. You should not upload images larger than 800 pixels by 800 pixels.
The photo can be in colour or black and white.
If you do not have a professional photo then you can arrange to have one taken. You can do this through your Departmental Coordinator (or the Research Office for School of Management).
Uploading your profile photo
Go to the section ‘Profile photos’ and click on ‘Add file’.
You can add multiple images, but only the first one uploaded will be shown on your profile.
All photo files should follow these naming conventions:
- all letters must be lowercase
- must use hyphens to separate words for readability, not underscores or spaces
- don’t use punctuation
- don’t include version indicators like 'v4' or comments like 'final'
For example: john-doe.jpg
Adding links to social media or personal websites
Go to ‘Links’ and click on ‘Add link’ to add a link. You can add an optional description and select a link type from the drop down menu.
The links will show up as icons below your profile photo. If you don’t select a link type the link will show up as a globe icon.
Changing your fingerprints
To remove your fingerprint concepts:
- Click on the ‘Fingerprints’ tab (on the left).
- Select the concept you want to remove.
- Click on the red cross.
To switch the fingerprints off on your profile page:
- Click on the blue ‘On’ button and this will change to ‘Off’.
- Click on ‘Save'.
Email email@example.com if you’ve got any questions about your Pure profile.