University of Bath

What to do if you have lost your passport or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

There are different steps that you must follow depending on which immigration documents you have lost, and whether these were lost in the UK or abroad.

Lost or stolen passports

General advice

If your passport is lost or stolen, you must:

  • apply to your country's government (Embassy or High Commission in the country where you are now) for a replacement passport or a travel document to return home
  • provide a police reference as evidence that your passport has been reported missing or stolen. If you lost your passport in the UK, you can get a police reference on If you're overseas, contact the local police

Passport containing your visa sticker

There a different steps that you must following if you have lost a passport containing your visa vignette (sticker) in the UK or overseas.

If you are inside the UK

You must:

  • apply for a new passport at your country's embassy, consulate or high commission
  • transfer your visa to a BRP card. The Transfer Of Conditions (TOC) can take around eight weeks.

If you are outside of the UK

If your passport contains your full visa for the UK (a vignette in your passport for the full duration of your leave/visa) and you lose your passport or have your passport stolen, you must:

  • report the loss or theft of your passport to the police and by obtaining a police report
  • apply for a replacement passport/temporary passport at the nearest embassy for your country
  • apply for a Tier 4 visa online and pay the full fee. You do not need to request a new CAS from your educational institution. If you are asked for a CAS number, simply provide your previous one. When asked to select a visa type, you should choose Other > Others > Vignette Transfer.

You can find further information in the guidance on UK government's website.

Lost biometric residence permits (BRPs)

General advice

The advice for reporting a lost biometric residence permit (BRP) is different depending upon whether you are in the UK or not. In either case, you must first:

  • report the loss or theft of your BRP to the local police and obtain a police report/lost property report.
  • contact the Home Office and report your lost or stolen BRP. The Home Office will contact you within one working day to tell you what to do next.

More advice on this and what to do next is made available by the government on their website.

If you're inside the UK

  • you may be advised to make a BRP-RC application for a replacement BRP card, costing £56.

The Student Immigration Service can help you with this application and send it on your behalf. Please email the first instance. We will then arrange for you to come and see us. You will need to have completed the application form and bring in the required documents, which includes a current student status letter (request through SAMIS online).

If you're outside the UK

You should immediately apply for a replacement BRP card when you return to the UK.

When to contact the Student Immigration Service

You should contact the University's Student Immigration Service if:

  • you are advised to apply for a replacement BRP card
  • you are advised to apply for a replacement BRP visa single entry
  • your lost visa is about to expire
  • you have received your replacement visa/passport/BRP, as we will need to update our records. This is a legal requirement.