Human Resources

Eligibility to work in the UK

The University is obliged to ensure that all workers are eligible to work in the UK. It is vital that the appropriate checks are completed prior to any work being undertaken.

The checks must be applied equally to all workers to ensure that we remain compliant with our duty to prevent illegal working and at the same time avoid unlawful discrimination.

Showing permission to work and reside in the UK

The onus is on the prospective worker to show that they are eligible to work in the UK.  Ordinarily this is done by presenting the original passport, national identity card or Biometric Residence Permit.

If these are unavailable a combination of both of the following would be acceptable; a full birth or adoption certificate issued in the UK which includes the name(s) of at least one of the holder’s parents or adoptive parents, together with an official document giving the person’s permanent National Insurance number and their name issued by a Government agency or a previous employer.

If neither of these are available, please contact HR for further guidance.

When checking or presenting documents they must be originals and must be copied and validated by the University representative conducting the check, which may be the recruiting manager, their designate, or a member of staff from HR or Joblink (for student hourly paid workers). For example, passports, the photo/details page and any visa page copied. The copy should include the following declaration 'Date on which this right to work check was made' and be signed and dated by the person conducting the check and their name written legibly so it is clear who has completed the check.

The following identification documents cannot be accepted:

  • a National Insurance Number on its own or in any format
  • a driving licence
  • a bill issued by a financial institution or a utility company
  • a short birth certificate issued in the UK which does not have the details of at least one of the parents

Individuals who are ordinarily eligible to work in the UK without restriction

  • Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
  • a dependent, husband, wife or civil partner of a UK or EEA national or an individual who has an existing right to work in the UK and the individual holds a dependent’s visa
  • an individual with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or have a UK Ancestry visa

Individuals who need to gain permission to work in the UK

If the prospective worker does not fall into one of these categories, such as non-EU migrants, they are likely to need to obtain permission before they can work in the UK.