Human Resources

Checking identity documents

If you are a University representative responsible for checking an individual's eligibility to work documents, you must take all reasonable steps to:

  • check that the document presented is valid
  • satisfy yourself that the person presenting themselves is the person named in the document
  • check that the documents allow them to do the work in question before the work commences.

Obtain documents

The documents you must accept from an individual to demonstrate their right to work are set out in two lists set by the Home Office - List A or List B. You must obtain an original document or document combination specified in one of these lists in order to comply with Home Office requirements.

List A contains the range of documents which you may accept for an individual who has a permanent right to work in the UK

List B contains the range of documents which may be accepted for an individual who has a temporary right to work in the UK

Check documents

For each document presented, you should:

  • check any photographs are consistent with the appearance of the employee/worker (this means you must see them in person)
  • check any dates of birth listed are consistent across documents and that you are satisfied that these correspond with the appearance of the employee/worker
  • check that the expiry dates of any limited leave to enter or remain in the UK have not passed -  only a current valid visa in a current passport or a Biometric Residence Permit (supported by a current valid passport) will confirm the right to work. Please note that Tier 4 students who have a right to study may not automatically have a right to work in the UK. An in-date visa in an expired passport does not give the holder a right to work in the UK.
  • check any UK Government endorsements (stamps, visas, etc.) to see if your prospective or current employee/worker is able to do the type of work you are offering
  • satisfy yourself that the documents are valid and genuine, have not been tampered with and belong to the holder

If your employee/worker gives you two documents which have different names, ask them for a further document to explain the reason for this. The further document could be a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, a deed poll or statutory declaration.

Copy/scan documents

You must make a copy of the relevant page or pages of the document in a format which cannot be subsequently altered. Typically, you should do this by photocopying and/or scanning the documents.

In the case of a passport or other travel document, the following parts must be photocopied and/or scanned:

  • Passports: any page with the document expiry date, nationality, date of birth, signature, leave expiry date, biometric details and photograph, and any page containing information indicating the holder has an entitlement to enter or remain in the UK and undertake the work in question.
  • For any documents other than a passport: the document in full, including both sides of a Biometric Residence Permit, an Application Registration Card and a Residence Card (biometric format).

Each document should be photocopied and/or scanned separately and include the following declaration 'Date on which this right to work check was made' . The declaration must be signed and dated by the person conducting the check and their name written legibly so it is clear who has completed the check.

Useful information

Read this slideshow about document verification to make sure that you:

•    comply with Home Office requirements
•    identify the required documents for compliance
•    correctly complete appropriate passport and other document checks
•    identify any irregularities with documents and contact HR/Joblink for advice

If you have any questions about document verification, you should contact HR or email


Other useful websites:

PRADO -  European Document Information - images of different documents issued within EU

CPNI - document verification guidance (pdf)