As part of the University’s commitment to working parents, we offer staff a more flexible way to meet the costs of child care. Care-4 is a salary exchange scheme which allows University staff to set aside or exchange a proportion of their gross salary in return for childcare benefit. Your tax and National Insurance is then calculated based on your remaining salary, which means that you pay less and save money. This money can then be used to pay for all types of registered (Ofsted or equivalent) childcare for children aged between 0 and 16 years of age, including nurseries, childminders, holiday scheme and breakfast/after school clubs.
2. Who can join the care-4 scheme?
To qualify for this scheme you must be: an employee of the University of Bath; either the parent or legal guardian of the child. The child must be either your child or stepchild, and maintained at your expense, either in full or in part and resident with you and under 16 years old.
3. How will the scheme benefit me?
· Saving money: find out how much you could save by using the savings calculator on the care-4 website www.care-4.co.uk
· BUPA childcare helpline: as a care-4 member you will have access to a Confidential Childcare Helpline. You will be able to obtain parental support on health, education and general issues 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The helpline also includes a childcare search service should you wish to change your current childcare arrangements and emergency/temporary care options.
· Electronic payments: Care-4 enables you to authorise electronic payments direct to your nominated carers in a secure and user-friendly way without the need to issue paper vouchers.
4. How do I join the scheme?
You can register for care-4 by calling 0844 800 1444 (between 9am - 6pm Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm Saturday) or on-line at www.care-4.co.uk.
When you register you must have the following information to hand:
· The University of Bath unique identification number - UN3B4.
· Your full name and address (including postcode)
· Your employee identification number (available from Human Resources)
· Full name(s) and date(s) of birth of your children whose care is to be paid for hrough the scheme
· Your annual gross salary
· The annual amount of your salary you wish to set aside for childcare
· Full name(s) and address (including postcode) of your nominated carer(s)
5. After joining the scheme
Following registration, care-4 will write to you to confirm the information that you have input and advise you of your membership number and scheme instructions. At this stage you will be required to sign and return to care-4 an authority confirming your agreement to the change in your contractual arrangements. (i.e. sacrificing an amount from your salary in return for childcare benefit.)
You should advise your carer that you have nominated them to participate in the care-4 scheme. Care-4 will write to each of your carers, inviting them to participate and provide their bank account details. They are also required to sign up to care-4 terms and conditions, and confirm they are able to care for your children under the Children Act 1989.
Following receipt of the completed documentation, you will be sent a membership card and PIN for use when authorising payments and checking the care-4 account. Your nominated carers will also be provided with a membership card to check payments made and pending.
University of Bath will transfer the agreed amount of benefit into the care-4 facility on the nominated day following pay day (usually 25th of month).
6. Making changes/leaving the scheme
You agree to sacrifice some of your salary in exchange for childcare benefit for a fixed period. You may alter the amount at the end of this period, or sooner if a significant lifestyle event occurs. This could be, for example, leaving to go on maternity leave, changing childcare providers, birth or adoption of child, or a child starting school.
If you leave the University then you will automatically leave the care-4 scheme as operated by the University.
Full details of the scheme are available in the scheme rules.
For further information, please refer to the care-4 website www.care-4.co.uk, or e-mail: email@example.com or call care-4 on 0844 800 1444.