Links & documents
Offer & appointment
Once a preferred candidate has been identified, HR will offer them the role and inform the other candidates of the outcome. The appointee must have a right to work in the UK. Any offer will be subject to a number of satisfactory clearances.
The key stages of the process are:
- The Chair of the interview panel notifies HR of the preferred candidate
- HR follow-up any outstanding references and make the job offer
- Upon acceptance of the role, HR instigate any outstanding clearances, eg medical
- All other candidates are notified of the outcome by HR
- HR issue a contract of employment
- The Department makes arrangements for the new starter's induction
Once HR has all the details for the offer, this can usually be made to the preferred candidate within 24 hours. The timescale for receiving clearances can vary according to the speed at which the candidate provides the information and how quickly external organisations process it. The start date is ultimately dependent on the period of notice that an individual has to serve; this can be up to 3 months.