University of Bath
Centre for the Arts
The new Centre for the Arts will provide the University of Bath and surrounding region with state-of-the-art facilities for a public programme of arts events and activities. The vision is to build a Centre that will be at the creative heart of the University for many years to come.
Get up-to-date information at the Centre for the Arts Blog
Due for completion in summer 2014, the building will deliver a range of facilities and activities for students at the University. It will meet the needs of current and future students by providing them with the space and opportunity not only to create their own work independently, but also to work alongside and be supported by professional tutors, artists and performers. These activities will provide University students with the knowledge and practical skills to further their own creative development, complementing and adding new perspectives to their studies.
In addition, the Centre will provide opportunities for academic teaching and research. There will be an emphasis on collaborating with internal departments and external partners to produce exciting new curricula that explore the creative potential of interdisciplinary activity.
As a public building, the Centre will also attract many visitors to campus, providing additional cultural resource for the City of Bath to complement the city’s existing arts infrastructure. It will enable members of the community to participate in a greatly diversified range of activities and give local artists, musicians and performers the opportunity to develop their own practice in a dedicated creative environment.
Although spaces will have primary uses, they will be fully flexible to be used for other University activities such as teaching, conferences and Continuing Professional Development. Additionally, new spaces will specifically support the delivery of The Bath MBA by the School of Management.
Spaces and facilities in the Centre for the Arts will include:
- A refurbished Arts Theatre for performances of professional and student work across music, theatre and dance, with integrated green room and improved backstage facilities.
- A Performance Studio, for small-scale performances, workshops and rehearsals.
- A Dance Studio, to accommodate an extensive programme of dance classes in a variety of disciplines as well as rehearsal space for student and professional work.
- Substantial Visual Arts Galleries, the work exhibited will include, sculpture, installation, artist film and video, new media and live art.
- Two Visual Art Studios, hosting drawing, painting, life-drawing and other visual arts courses alongside dedicated space for artists-in-residence and student work in development.
- An Ensemble Rehearsal Room, to host a range of rehearsals, including the University’s numerous instrumental and vocal ensembles.
- Several Music Practice Rooms, ranging in size to accommodate one-to-one music tuition and individual instrument practice through to small instrumental groups, choirs, intimate recitals and talks. One room will be specifically designed for amplified music rehearsals.
- An Executive MBA Suite, including a small lecture theatre with adjacent breakout spaces suitable for teaching an Executive MBA.
- Administration Offices for permanent members of staff, visiting artists and tutors.
- A Foyer with Box Office for selling tickets, dealing with general enquiries and acting as a reception point for visiting performers. This space will also be a social area accommodating a Bar/Café serving light refreshments.
Follow our Centre for the Arts blog to find out more about the project and its progress.