The Faculty of Engineering and Design has recently been successful in obtaining JIF funding of £3.12M for a new Engineering building. It has also received SRIF funding of £4M for research equipment and refurbishment of laboratories associated with the Centre.
Centre for Power Transmission and Motion Control and the Centre for Biomimetics and Natural Technologies occupy the building in addition to the IdMRC. The IdMRC moved into 8 East at the beginning of 2003, and occupies the top floor of the building in additon to locations in the laboratories. The building is equipped with an Access Grid node, and has recently been completely re-equipped with a new IT infrastructure.
Equipment available to the IdMRC includes:
- Rapid prototyping machines
- DMG 5-axis CNC machining centre
- CMM with scanning facility
- 3-D Digitiser
- Robotics/packaging facility
- 100 Tonne CNC press
- EDS Unigraphics and SolidEdge CADCAM software
- Witness Manufacturing Simulation software
- Video Conferencing Suite