The Equality and Diversity Committee is responsible to Council and Senate for the promotion of equality of opportunity across the University. The Committee has the Equality and Diversity Network as a sub-committee.
Secretary to the Committee: If you would like further information about the work of the Equality and Diversity Committee, please contact Caroline Harris (ext 4141 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org).
Terms of office expire on 31st July in the year stated.
|Mark Humphriss||Chair, University Secretary||ex-officio|
|Ian Cheetham||Director of Human Resources||ex-officio|
|Mark Ames||Head of Student Services||ex-officio|
|Adalgisa Giorgio||Chair, Equality and Diversity Network||ex-officio|
|Chris Clements||President, Students' Union||ex-officio|
|Hanna Wade||Vice-President, Students' Union||ex-officio|
|Michael Hipkins||Lay Member appointed by Council||2014|
|Gareth Price||Member appointed by Senate||2014|
|Joel Staley||Member Appointed by the Equality and Diversity Network||2013|
|Carol Lacey||Member nominated by the Students' Union||2014|
|Elinor Rees||Elected student representative||2013|
|Rhiannon Norfolk||Elected student representative||2013|
Elected staff representatives:
|Paula Kover||Education and Research||
|Abhishek Upadhyay||Management, Specialist and Administration||
|to be confirmed||Technical and Experimental||
|Claire Marr||Operational and Facilities Support||
|Annette Hayton||Head of Widening Participation||19/04/2014|
|Marlene Bertrand||Equality and Diversity Manager|
|David Skidmore||Equality and Diversity Adviser|
|Susannah Doyle||Student Disability Advice Manager (for relevant business)|
|Jon Davies||Assistant Registrar
(representative nominated by the Academic Registrar)
- The term of office for elected and appointed members is three years (renewable), except that for students it is one year (renewable).
- It is intended that 'ambassadors' for particular strands of Equality and diversity policy and activity will be identified from amongst the members of the Committee.
- Up to three co-opted members are permitted, sought on the basis of their expertise in the area and may include members external to the University.
- Formulating and recommending University policies and procedures relating to Equality and diversity to Senate and Council.
- Overseeing the formulation of institutional action plans to ensure that Equality and diversity policies are effectively translated into programmes of action.
- Advising the relevant University decision-making bodies and officers:
- on strategic policy developments relating to Equality and diversity, their integration into the University’s overall strategic plans and on their implementation;
- the desirability and priority of actions relating Equality and diversity which have resource implications.
- Encouraging and assisting departments in the effective integration and implementation of University Equality and diversity policies and procedures.
- Establishing project groups as required to investigate, report on and implement work on specific dimensions of equality and diversity issues.
- Maintaining under review and, where necessary, proposing revisions to University policies, procedures and plans relating to Equality and diversity.
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation and effectiveness of the University’s Equality and diversity policies, procedures and plans.
- Keeping under review all areas of University practice in regard to Equality and diversity.
- Ensuring University Equality and diversity policies and procedures are effectively disseminated and promoted.
- Maintaining appropriate consultation and communication routes with all relevant groups in the University and with external bodies in pursuance of the terms of reference of the Committee.
Please note that the summaries and minutes of meetings of the Equality and Diversity Committee published above exclude information which the University has declared will not be routinely published under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Further information about the Act (including the reasons why such information is exempt from publication) is available at http://www.bath.ac.uk/foi/faqs-staff-general.htm. If you have any queries about business conducted by the Committee and cannot find reference to it in the summaries/minutes published here, please contact Caroline Harris (ext 4141, email email@example.com).
Appointment of Chair: Deputy Vice-Chancellor or a Pro-Vice-Chancellor
nominated by the Vice-Chancellor.
Co-options:Council Standing Orders 16(iv) and 16(v). There is provision for up to three co-opted members, sought on the basis of their expertise in the area, who may include members external to the University.
Alternates Council Standing Order 17(iii).
Quorum: One third of the membership (Council Standing Order 16(vi)).
Rules for voting: None specified.
Minutes: Submitted to Council, Senate and Equality and Diversity Network.
- Single Equality Scheme
- Equality and Diversity Committee Structure in PDF format.
- Equality and Diversity Network
- Equality and Diversity at the University