Further changes to the Race Relations Act 1976, based on
the European Union Race Directive, came into effect on 19
July 2003. You will find information on these changes on http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs2/chngeagracdis.html.
These Regulations introduce:
- New definitions of unlawful discrimination (direct and indirect)
- New definitions of harassment
- Changes to the definition of victimisation during and after employment.
- Extension to the period during which a claim for harassment can be
brought to beyond the end of the relationship.
This could have implications for anyone giving job references for former
members of staff or students.
- Shift in the burden of proof to the respondent in a court or a tribunal,
as long as the complainant has established a prima facia case of unlawful
discrimination or harassment.
- Implications for the Policy and procedure on harassment and methods
for dealing with unlawful racial discriminatory practices.
More general information about these changes can be found