The Board of Studies is responsible
to Senate for all matters relating to the organisation of education,
teaching, learning and research in the School, including all examination matters.
Secretary to the Board : If you would like further information about the Board of Studies for the School of Management, please contact Kay Elliott (ext 6594, email K.Elliott@bath.ac.uk).
|Vice Chancellor (normally invited to attend one meeting each year)|
|CHAIR: Professor Richard ELLIOTT (Dean)|
|Executive Board – ex-officio:|
|Prof Andrew MILLINGTON|
|Dr Nick KINNIE|
|Prof Michael MAYER|
|Prof Russ VINCE|
|Elected members:||With effect from:||To:|
|Dr Steve CONWAY||1 August 2012||31 July 2015|
|Dr XiaoHua CHEN||1 August 2012||31 July 2013|
|Dr Ian COLVILLE||1 August 2011||31 July 2014|
|Dr Haiming HANG||1 August 2012||31 July 2015|
|Dr Andreas KRAUSE||1 August 2010||31 July 2013|
|Dr Eleanor MORGAN||1 August 2011||31 July 2014|
|Dr Uta MORGENSTERN||1 August 2012||31 July 2015|
|Dr Yun SHEN||1 August 2011||31 July 2014|
|Ms Janet WILSON WARD||1 August 2010||31 July 2013|
|Members from other Faculties:|
|Mr Thanos MERGOUPIS||Humanities & Social Sciences|
|Dr Sukumar NATARAJAN||Engineering & Design|
|Dr Gan SHERMER (to December 2012)||Science|
|Sze (Sabrina) TSUI (UG – BSc in Accounting and Finance)
Denys TKACHENKO (PGT – MSc in Advanced Management Practice)
Stefanie GUSTAFSSON (PGR – Phd) Sabbatical Officer:
Mr Jon GLEAVE, Students’ Union Sports Officer
|The Board is entitled to co-opt up to a maximum of 5 further members:|
|Janet RUMSEY||1 August 2011||31 July 2014|
|Head of Learning Partnerships Office or Nominee:||ex-officio|
|Others (in attendance):|
|Library:||Ms Jane HILL/ Ms Helen RHODES|
Terms of Reference
Approved by Privacy Council, 1st August 2009
The functions of Boards of Studies are prescribed by Section 20.1 of the Statutes:
20.1 There shall be a Board of Studies of each School which shall have the following functions:
- To advise and report to the Senate on all matters relating to the organisation of education, teaching, learning, and research in the subjects of the School, including curricula and examinations.
- To consider the progress of Students in the School.
- To appointinternal and external examiners in the subjects of the School.
- To recommend to the Senate any appointment of an external examiner where the aggregate term of office exceeds four consecutive years.
- To consider and where necessary take action on any matters which may be referred to it by the Senate.
- To advise and recommend to the Senate on the academic strategy of the School.
- To carry out any functions which may be given to or imposed on it by the Ordinances.
Minutes of Meetings
Please note that the summaries and minutes of meetings of Board of Studies for the School of Management published above exclude information which the University has declared will not be routinely published under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Further information about the Act (including the reasons why such information is exempt from publication). If you have any queries about business conducted by the Committee and cannot find reference to it in the summaries/minutes published here, please contact Kay Elliott (ext 6594, email K.Elliott@bath.ac.uk).
Standing Orders: Board
of Studies Standing Orders
Appointment of Chair: The Head of School (Section 8.3 of the Statutes).
Appointment of Vice-Chair: See Standing Order 4(a).
Membership: See Ordinance 10.
Co-options: Up to five, see Ordinance 10.
Alternates: See Standing Order 1(b). For ex-officio members only - allowed at the discretion of the person nominating.
Quorum: See Section 28.1(iv) of the Statutes and Standing Order 4(b-d).
Rules for voting: See Standing Orders 9 and 10.
Minutes: Submitted to Senate.
(1) Staff/Student Liaison Committees:
Ordinance 26 states:
Each Department shall have at least one Staff/Student Liaison Committee with such constitution and terms of reference as the Board of Studies shall prescribe, provided that:
(a) the number of students shall not be less than the number of staff members.
(b) there shall not be less than six student members, including postgraduate representation where appropriate
Minutes of the Staff/Student Liaison Committee may be received by the Board of Studies.
(2) Boards of Examiners.
(3) Each Board of Studies will routinely establish the following Sub-Committees:
Learning, Teaching and Quality Committee, Research Committee. Research Students Committee, Graduate School committee.
(4) The Board of Studies will also convene meetings (as required) of Accreditation Sub-Committee and review Sub-Committee.