-Student Services

Current Students


Student Services Helpdesk

Related links

Visa advice: Extending your Tier 4 student visa in the UK



How do I extend my visa?

If you are in the UK please use our Check and Send Service to minimise the risk of refusal.

Check and Send Visa Service

  1. Attend a visa extension talk if applying in September / October
  2. Request a CAS if you are a continuing student (new students will receive an Admissions CAS)
  3. Make a Check and Send appointment with an adviser:
    go to the 4 West Student Services Centre / ring 01225 385538
  4. We will provide a checklist of required documents and an envelope to collect them in when you book an appointment. If booking by phone, you can download the checklist.
  5. Fill in the online application form (do not submit or pay so we can check it) and begin to prepare your documents
  6. Check your documents during a daily drop-in advice session, 4 West Student Services Centre
  7. Attend your Check and Send appointment with your complete application (form and documents)
  8. We check your application and documents, help you to submit the form and send your application to the Home Office for you at no extra cost
  9. We let you know when you should have received the letter from the Home Office asking you to have your biometric information recorded
  10. We contact the Home Office as necessary and oversee your application until the Home Office have made a decision and your passport and documents are returned to us
  11. Your passport, documents and Biometric Residence (BRP) card are returned to us - we scan these and upload them to SAMIS
  12. We return your passport and documents to you and advise you of any further action required

If you make a mistake on the form or do not include all the required documents your visa may be refused and you will not be able to appeal that decision.  In order to minimise the risk of this happening, we are offering to send your application to the Home Office on your behalf via our Check and Send Visa service, which makes use of a Home Office scheme for universities to send Tier 4 applications.

It is however your responsiblity to ensure your application is complete and correct and meets the Home Office requirements. You must prepare your documents and the application form carefully before attending your Check and Send Visa Service appointment.

Documents required

Low-risk nationals - some nationalities do not need to provide all supporting documents with their application. However, you must have these documents available on the date of your application as the Home Office may ask to see them. If the Home Office asks you to submit any documents, your application will be refused if you are unable to provide them. The International Student Advisers must see your documents before sending your application - we reserve the right not to send your application for you if we have not seen your documents.

1) The application form - online form

Online application form, helptext and guidance (the Home Office) Do not submit and pay before your Check and Send appointment

You will need to apply using the online form. IMPORTANT: do not submit your application until you have seen an International Student Adviser. You can fill-in the form and save it without submitting. We cannot make changes if required once the form has been submitted.

Your date of application is the date you submit the online form and pay.

Dependants can fill in their details on the same application form.

It is your responsibility to check you have the most recent form when you are ready to send your application.

2) Application Fee -

£422 by post (plus £422 per dependant if applying at the same time) or £822 in person (plus £822 per dependant if applying at the same time);

Fee is payable online when you submit your application - please do not submit and pay until you have seen an adviser.

3) Your current passport (and previous passports if you have come to the UK on them);

4) Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you have one;

4) Two passport sized photographs:

- background must be light grey or cream (NOT white)
- write your name on the back
- photos must be identical
- photos must be no more than 1 month old
- you must have a neutral expression (no smiling)
- photos must be the correct measurements (see guidance for photographs)

The Home Office provide strict guidance for photographs required. Please check these.

5) A Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University.

New students:
You will be automatically sent a CAS from our Admissions department (including pre-sessional students going on to their degree course).

Continuing students:
You must request a CAS using the Student Services Helpdesk (SAMIS). You will be given your CAS during your Check and Send appointment. Before this appointment, you will receive a CAS Summary to help you fill in your application form and to check your details are correct. Please print and bring to your Check and Send appointment.

Requesting a CAS:

1. Log into SAMIS
2. Click 'Student Services Helpdesk' in the top right corner.
3. Select 'Log New Enquiry'
4. Select the appropriate category ('All International Student Visa Advice'
/ 'CAS Request')
5. Enter the title as 'CAS Request'
6. Enter the information on the form - passport number and visa expiry are essential. We cannot produce the CAS until this information has been supplied.
7. Submit the request. Complicated cases can take up to 15 working days in some situations.
8. A CAS Summary will be emailed directly to your University email account, this must be checked. Let us know before your Check and Send appointment if any information is incorrect.
9. Use the CAS summary to help you fill in the application form.
10. Print out the CAS summary and bring it to your Check and Send appointment.
11. Your CAS number will be provided during your Check and Send appointment.

The CAS is valid for six months and can be used up to 3 months before the start of your course if starting a new course.

6) Original certificates for all qualifications mentioned on your CAS statement

7) Financial Proof

Check your bank statements - bank statement flowchart

You must have £800 per month for up to 9 months, or for 2 month if you have been studying in the UK for 6 months:

- £7,200 living costs if you have just completed a pre-sessional English course which was less than 6 months, and this was the first course you have done in the UK, PLUS your first year of fees.
- £1,600 living costs if you have a valid visa and have been studying here for 6 months or more PLUS your first year of fees (or remaining fees if you are extending for less than a year).

APPLICATIONS AFTER 1 JULY 2014: Note that living costs will increase on 1 July 2014 to £820 per month.

You will need more if you have dependants.

You must show the money using bank statements and / or a letter from a financial sponsor and / or receipts

Bank statements (check your statements using our bank statement flowchart)

Letter from financial sponsor


8) Your Police Registration Certificate. If you are required to register with the police this will be stated on your visa. Please make sure it has your current address on it. More information...>>

9) Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate
Important: if you need an ATAS certificate, apply early! There are often delays in processing ATAS applications.

If you are a postgraduate or MEng student and you hold a student visa you may need to get an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate. Please see the FCO website for more information.

MEng students will need to include ALL options for final year modules on their application.

References for ATAS applications - one of your referees must be an academic from your home country. If this is a problem for you, please see an International Student Adviser.

10) Copies of all documents you send to the Home Office
UKBA only accepts original documents. Photocopies or faxes are unacceptable. It is essential that you keep photocopies of all documents sent to the Home Office.

What if my documents aren't in English?

You must also send a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This must include the translator's qualifications, contact details and signature, confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document and the date.

Be careful with translations obtained overseas and used for visa applications overseas - the Home Office requirements are different when applying overseas.

When should I apply to extend my student visa?

It is very important that you send your application on time before your visa expires.

What is a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)?

All students extending their leave to remain in the UK will be given a Biometric Residence Permit which will contain personal data and your immigration details. The process is as follows:

Please note that your visa will now be recorded on your Biometric Identity Card and not in your passport.

How long will it take to get my passport back?

Your visa case process overview (pdf)

Processing time can be between 4-12 weeks. It can take longer if extra checks are required or in busy periods. Consider this if you are planning to travel and make your application early.

We advise you to wait until your visa and passport are returned until you book any tickets.

Your passport and Biometric Residence Permit will be sent to the International Student Advice Team - we will email you when they have both been received.

I need to extend urgently - can I apply in person?

Yes, we have a Check and Send service for in person applications:

Important: this is for Universities only - please discuss with an adviser. You will also need to use a paper form, available from advisers.

Super-premium service: you are strongly advised to consult with an adviser if considering this Home Office service - it may not be necessary.

What about my family?

Dependants application form and policy guidance...>>

Dependants must apply on a separate form but we will send the applications together.

Can I extend my visa at home over the holidays?

Yes - you will need to follow the application process in your home country.

Generally, documents required are the same as if you were applying in the UK. There are three exceptions:

My visa has been refused what shall I do?

We will advise you if your application has been refused and make an appointment to discuss your options.


Terms and conditions of using the International Student Advice Service (ISAT)

1. Whilst ISAT can help you to check that your application is complete and accurate, the ultimate responsibility for this remains with you, the applicant. We do not accept liability for applications that are returned invalid or refused.

2. We will send you written confirmation via the Student Services Helpdesk (SAMIS) of any risks that we have discussed during your appointment that may adversely affect your application. We will also use SAMIS to record case notes and contact you with any updates. It is your responsibility to check your file on SAMIS and your email accounts regularly for correspondance.

3. Immigration rules are subject to frequent change. Whilst we keep this webpage updated, it remains the students' responsibility to check that they meet their immigration requirements.

4. If you have a Tier 4 visa for a different institution you can't begin a course at the University of Bath. Please contact the International Student Advice Team for further information.

5. As part of the Points Based System the University is required to keep photocopies of your visa and passport and inform the Home Office of non-attendance and significant changes of circumstance.

6. CAS issuing:

ISAT will make the CAS statement available to the student once they have evidence that the student’s application is complete and correct.

ISAT reserve the right to refuse issue of a CAS if it is considered that the visa application may stand for refusal.

If a student is overseas, or, under exceptional circumstances, in the UK and unable to attend an appointment with an ISAT adviser, ISAT will issue a CAS on the basis of having checked and approved scanned documents.

The issuing of the CAS will be at the discretion of ISAT at all times.