Opening a bank account
- There are two banks on campus, Barclays and Santander and lots in Bath including HSBC and Lloyds TSB.
- Before opening a bank account you'll need to register with the University, pay your fees and move into your accommodation.
What you will need to open an account
- Your passport
- Your letter of acceptance or Certificate of Registration from the University
- Proof of your UK address (e.g. an accommodation contract) and proof of your overseas address: in some cases banks will accept your Student Status (registration letter) that was posted to you at home, or a specific 'bank letter' from the Registry as proof of your two addresses. It's a good idea to have proof of your bank account at home also.
If you don't have a registration letter then you need to request a bank letter:
- go to Registration Online
- Register fully by completing all parts of registration online
- click on 'to whom letter request'.
- Select 'to a bank or building society'
- enter the name of the bank you wish to open the account with.
After 4 working days, collect the letter from the Student Services Centre, 4 West, between 09:30 - 16:30.
Which bank ?
- The International Student Advice Team will provide further information on specific types of bank account when you arrive
- Compare bank accounts at moneysupermarket.com
- Banks on campus will be doing talks during the Orientation Programme
- Visit the banks when you arrive and look on their websites
- Please note it is often only possible to open a basic bank account in the UK (current and savings accounts)
- Check the terms and conditions of an account carefully (eg for monthly costs).