Skills development for doctoral students
Why undertake skills development?
As well as undertaking your research, it is important that you consider your wider skills development during your doctorate:
- to improve your effectiveness as a researcher
- to improve your employability both within and outside academia
Vitae is the global leader in supporting the professional development of researchers.
The Vitae website has a wealth of resources and advice tailored specifically to you as a researcher, whether your ambition is to stay within or move outside academia.
Register with your Bath email address to get full access to resources.
Supporting your skills development
Use the RDF to help you:
- identify your own strengths and weaknesses
- identify areas for development
- write a professional development plan (PDP)
- discuss your skills development with others including your supervisor
Planning your skills development
To help you plan your development we have produced a training handbook for doctoral students.
As well as attending PGSkills sessions you may want to consider other development ideas.