Developing your researcher skills
We offer a comprehensive range of free skills development opportunities, helping you get the most out of your doctorate and to enhance your future career prospects. Many of these skills are transferable and will enhance your employability both within and outside academia.
To help you plan your development we have produced a training handbook for doctoral students.
Vitae is the global leader in supporting the professional development of researchers. The Vitae website has a wealth of resources and advice tailored specifically to you as a researcher, whether your ambition is to stay within or move outside academia. Register with your Bath email address to get full access to resources.
Workshops, webinars and online learning modules
All doctoral students at Bath have free access to 'PGSkills' - a programme of skills training workshops and online learning modules tailored to doctoral students, covering:
- managing yourself and your doctorate
- information seeking and literacy skills
- research management and ethics
- data handling and analysis
- writing your thesis
- engaging others in your research
- managing your career development
The PGSkills programme is delivered by a range of specialist university professionals and external trainers and aligned to the Researcher Development Framework (RDF) developed by Vitae.
You can also improve your career prospects and further your personal development by signing up for free skills training sessions offered through the Students’ Union, delivered by student trainers, university staff and industry professionals.
Specialist support in information skills and library skills
Develop your information seeking and literacy skills through comprehensive guidance and support on topics such as:
Develop your academic writing
Motivate and energise your doctoral writing by:
- joining with other doctoral students at our fortnightly doctoral writing group
- participating in our weekly ‘write bites’ informal workshops
- attending a drop-in session with a professional writing tutor
- booking a personal tutorial
Maths and statistics support
- one-to-one appointments for statistical queries
- online and physical resources, such as practice exercises, textbooks and videos
- software training and support, including SPSS, R, MatLab and LaTeX
- daily drop-in sessions for help with mathematics and statistics, including numeracy support
Contact MASH for more information.
Join and engage others in research through a range of practical public engagement activities or develop engaged research skills through workshops delivered by our Public Engagement Unit.
Learn a new language, develop your existing language skills and increase your cultural awareness.
- enrol on a language class
- study independently using a range of self-study resources in our self access language centre
- meet for an informal and tailor-made language exchange with a native speaker of the language you are studying