- The Library

Open Access Funding

While it is usually possible to make your work open access at no cost, some publishers will require an Article Processing Charge (APC) to be paid. This is called Gold Open Access. 

RCUK, Wellcome trust or COAF Funded research

If you are acknowledging RCUK, Wellcome Trust or Charities Open Access Fund (COAF) funding in your paper then you can access our RCUK Open Access fund. You will need to select a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) License, when prompted by the publisher.

The eligible funding bodies are: EPSRC, BBSRC, ESRC, STFC, NERC, AHRC, MRC, Wellcome Trust, Arthritis Research UK, Breast Cancer Now, the British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, Bloodwise and Parkinson’s UK.

To access this fund, please fill out the Open Access APC Payment Application form.

European Research Council and Horizon 2020 funded research

Article Processing Charges for European Research Council funded works can be claimed as Direct Eligible Costs from your grant if publication is expected during the period of the grant.

For more information read the ERC guidelines.

Research in Gold Open Access only journals

If you are publishing in a high quality journal that requires an APC and doesn’t have a Self-Archiving (Green Open Access) option, you may be able to get the funds from the Bath Open Access Fund. You do not need to have external funding to access this fund.

A publication is eligible if the journal operates a ‘Gold’ or paid Open Access model only AND the journal is a Q1 title as measured by Journal Citation Reports or SciMago Journal Indicators. The Research Support team can advise you whether your journal will be eligible. (openaccess@bath.ac.uk)

As many of these journals require you to agree to the payment when you submit, it is a good idea to secure funding before you do so.

To access this fund, please fill out the Open Access APC Payment Application form.

What to do if no funding is available

There won’t always be funding available to pay for Gold Open Access. If that turns out to be the case there are a few things that you can do:

  1. Use Green Open Access. Most journals allow you to upload a copy of your work to Pure/Opus. This is a perfectly acceptable way to make your work open access and will ensure you meet any funder requirements. See our How to add research outputs to Opus guide.
  2. Ask your Associate Dean (Research). By exception, your Associate Dean (Research) can authorise payment from the Bath Open Access Fund for a journal that would otherwise be ineligible. You will need to justify why paid OA would be beneficial for this paper. For example, if the paper has international co-authorship and Open Access would help draw international readers.
  3. Ask your department for funding. If Green OA isn’t an option for this journal, you may still need to find funding for the APC. It’s worth asking around your department if there is any funding available.